Researching Uromastyx

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I've been looking into getting a lizard...and am seriously considering a Uromastyx...I've narrowed it to Ornate, Egyptian or Mali due mostly to availability. Open to opinions on differences between the species.

I am aware that the Egyptian can grow to be larger than the others.

Does anyone have experience with owning/handling them?

Can you make any recommendations/suggestions?

I'm pretty certain I'd like to start with a baby regardless of what species.
Share pics/videos of yours if have/had them!

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
I don't have much experience with them but I do know tht it needs to be VERY hot in there cage and very dry. Like 110 degrees F on hot side and almost zero percent humidity. But thts all I really know

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I have Uros. Take a look at a forum I created several years ago. The link is in my sig. You will find a lot of useful info and dedicated keepers there. Uros are fantastic lizards.

ckidd_1999 said:
I don't have much experience with them but I do know tht it needs to be VERY hot in there cage and very dry. Like 110 degrees F on hot side and almost zero percent humidity. But thts all I really know

They actually like about 130F on their basking rock. It isn't hard to get that though. Most of my enclosures use a 60 W candescent bulb with an elevated tile basking spot. My reptile room is about 40-55% humidity and they do fine. It is likely lower than that in their hot enclosures. I have Uros that I have had for years and NEVER have given them a drop of water. They simply don't need it. It is amazing!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a Mali. Great lizards. I like the fact they don't eat bugs. My second fave lizard, my first is the bearded. I do give mine water, on the greens. I wash them just before I feed so he does get some. I will also spray the side of his enclosure once in a while, incase he wants to lick some water off. I just have a hard time believing anythi g can live without water. After all, people used to think some tortoises could. So, for my own mind, I do give some.
2134e56dc775a717dd151ce65fd63667_zpsea79e460.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
wellington said:
I just have a hard time believing anythi g can live without water. After all, people used to think some tortoises could. So, for my own mind, I do give some

It is amazing that they can. Like I said, I have a nearly 5 year old Mali that has NEVER had water. He is as healthy and thick as any Uro you will ever see. He does expel watery urates with stool. They are amazingly adept at getting needed water from their food. It just goes to show us that what we think is needed is not what is actually needed. I don't think there is much "free standing" water in Mali!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tim/Robin said:
wellington said:
I just have a hard time believing anythi g can live without water. After all, people used to think some tortoises could. So, for my own mind, I do give some

It is amazing that they can. Like I said, I have a nearly 5 year old Mali that has NEVER had water. He is as healthy and thick as any Uro you will ever see. He does expel watery urates with stool. They are amazingly adept at getting needed water from their food. It just goes to show us that what we think is needed is not what is actually needed. I don't think there is much "free standing" water in Mali!

I absolutely believe you. I just can't do it. However, I must say, I have never seen him lick the water off the glass. He does though get some water from his wet greens.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
What differences are there between Mali, Ornate & Egyptian other than pattern/color and size?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have a Mali. Great lizards. I like the fact they don't eat bugs. My second fave lizard, my first is the bearded. I do give mine water, on the greens. I wash them just before I feed so he does get some. I will also spray the side of his enclosure once in a while, incase he wants to lick some water off. I just have a hard time believing anythi g can live without water. After all, people used to think some tortoises could. So, for my own mind, I do give some.
2134e56dc775a717dd151ce65fd63667_zpsea79e460.jpg

You may want to do some research, as that animal pictured is more than likely a Niger/Saharan Uromastyx - U. Geyri. True Mali Uromastyx ( U. Maliensis ) are hard to find. U. Dispar look very similair to a Mali, and are actively marketed as Mali's by most uneducated sellers.

All Uromastyx care is the same. Egyptians are dull animals by nature, but are very impressive when they hit 24"+. Otherwise, do the research and figure out which animal you are more than likely going to stick with. All the rarer Uromastyx species are starting to come down in price, so don't limit yourself to just those three species......

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
In my opinion, its all about how large they get and how they look. Like Tim said, care & personality is about the same across the board.

The smaller species are Ornates and Saharans, topping out at about 12-14".

Most others like Malis & Moroccans are medium-sized at 18."

The Egyptians are the giants, with males exceeding over 24."

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I'm now almost sure I'm getting a Mali...

JK, maybe an ornate. LOL

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I don't know...haha it was sold as a "Mali" but it really doesn't matter too much to me as long as it's eating and basking.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
my temps are 88-120...I have offered romaine, chicory, mustard greens, escarole, spring mix, and mazuri. I have been using a 100W powersun and a 60w CHE. It ate a little romaine the first day, and a little spring mix the other day. Other than that, it hasn't eaten much, just bites here and there (that I see when I'm home) urinates daily, seems pretty inactive (although he walks around, and has been losing weight I think. I sprayed water on the side of the glass and he licked drops of it.

Any suggestions? Often the greens dry out before he even goes up to them to sniff/lick them.

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
Temps and food sounds good. I add a little water to the bottom of the food bowl before I put it in the cage. It keeps the greens from drying out as quickly. Make sure you dust with calcium every day (I use calcium + vitamin D). Also uros love to eat seeds. I use a parakeet mix that has millet and safflower seeds in it.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I'm trying everything...romaine, dandelion greens, peppers, lentils, mazuri...still not eating. I sound like a person with a hatchling sulcata...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.