Rescued a Sulcata Tortoise, any tips?

ZamTheMan

Location (City and/or State)
PIttsburgh, PA
My family has recently found an African Spurred Tortoise, or Sulcata Tortoise as I've seen them called both. After panicking and trying to make sure the poor thing was comfy (my dad found it walking the dog down by the lake where we live, the weather was roughly 30-40 degrees), my mom called the local zoo for some tips, and I've been asking my "reptile-expert" friend questions constantly. So far we've been told by both we've been doing fine taking care of it, but my paranoia keeps me from being 100% sure the little thing's ok.

Our current enclosure for them is a large hamster pen with a barred cage (the tortoise is only 6" big). We were told timothy hay was alright for the floor of the pen, as this tortoise is a grazer. We've been getting them the correct greens according to several sites, the man from the zoo, and my friend, but they haven't eaten any from what I've seen. We've got a styrofoam pan and filled it with water for them to dip themselves in, which they have been doing every now and then. They've only gone to the bathroom once since we've found them, but my friend says they won't eat for up to two weeks when in a new enclosure. Our house is around 60-70 degrees, and we're working on getting them a heat lamp. I guess paranoia comes from the fact that they're not eating, and today they have not left the little enclosure we made them, which is currently a half-cut out soda box, which they like to hide in every so often. We're working on getting them a real tortoise dish for them to get in and out of, as well as maybe a little home for them. If anyone could help with advice that knows a lot about keeping these things as pets, that'd be great. No one in my family has any idea how to care for a reptile. I don't know how they behave, their mannerisms, their intelligence, etc. I just want to make sure they're happy and healthy. This was sorta sprung on us, so not everything is in place yet for them to be in perfect care, but we're working on it. There aren't many stores around us that sell things for tortoises, and things through the mail take weeks to be delivered.

Attachments

• 12247198_10207921710902236_6654015691735007977_n.jpg
    12247198_10207921710902236_6654015691735007977_n.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 77

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Your house is in the 60s and they currently do not have a heat source? If so, that is why they are not eating. Right now for heat you can just use a household light bulb. Please research the care sheets on this site.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Read all Tom's threads in the sulcata section . They need beat no lower than 80° and a basking spot of 95_100° . They need substrate that holds humidity . Hey is no good for bedding at all . The tortoise is pyramiding because of lack of humidity . Welcome to TFO ! We all start somewhere .

ZamTheMan

PIttsburgh, PA
Your house is in the 60s and they currently do not have a heat source? If so, that is why they are not eating. Right now for heat you can just use a household light bulb. Please research the care sheets on this site.

Well we have a small light hooked up to their pen, though I'm not sure it really gives off enough heat. I've been looking on several forums and sites, but it's just better to have someone tell you what to do and not to do in specific situations.

ZamTheMan

PIttsburgh, PA
Read all Tom's threads in the sulcata section . They need beat no lower than 80° and a basking spot of 95_100° . They need substrate that holds humidity . Hey is no good for bedding at all . The tortoise is pyramiding because of lack of humidity . Welcome to TFO ! We all start somewhere .

We're working on getting a basking lamp asap, might be able to get one tonight. Thank you for the advice and the welcome. We're lucky we found them when we did, in this cold weather, they might have died in a matter of days. I just hate whoever abandoned the poor thing. No way an African tortoise just magically wound up down by the lake.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Sulcata are great escape artists - make sure you put up flyers and check local listings for the owner while you figure out a way to keep them warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You said you found "a" tortoise, but you keep mentioning "them". Do you have more than one?

These are tropical tortoises. Think of how warm it is in Sub-Saharan Africa today. This species needs warm temps days and night. If you don't allow the tortoise to warm up in a warm basking area, its immune system cannot function and it will get sick. Same thing with the digestive system.

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Pics of your enclosure would help us to give you better tips.

Finally, realize that for more than two decades we have been caring for this species all wrong. Most of the people out in the world are still using this old outdated info. Even Zoo people. We have learned a tremendous amount in the last few years and the above info reflects that new knowledge and understanding.

GRohr

If you haven't already you should give them a good warm soak to heat them up and rehydrate them some after getting so cold outside. Just make sure they don't get cold afterwards while they are still wet. The warm soak will also help them poo some if they need to.

It is truly great that that you found them and are taking care of them, at that size they made not have survived the night with it being that cold. Sulcatas are true masters of escaping though so the owners may not have abandoned them (but they may have after they realized the commitment and how large they get). Ask all the questions you have, we have the best experts here especially on sulcatas. No @Tom, I am not sucking up though I would like a SA leopard hatchling when your group starts to lay eggs...... ;)

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Best of luck & PLEASE realize everyone here is trying to help you and the tortoise. Some stuff may sound drill-sergeant like, but it is for the well being of the animal. Listen to the folks on here who have decades of experience with sulcata and other desert torts.

Kudos for taking them in and doing the right thing. Like others have said, they may not have made it through the night.

ZamTheMan

PIttsburgh, PA
You said you found "a" tortoise, but you keep mentioning "them". Do you have more than one?

These are tropical tortoises. Think of how warm it is in Sub-Saharan Africa today. This species needs warm temps days and night. If you don't allow the tortoise to warm up in a warm basking area, its immune system cannot function and it will get sick. Same thing with the digestive system.

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Pics of your enclosure would help us to give you better tips.

Finally, realize that for more than two decades we have been caring for this species all wrong. Most of the people out in the world are still using this old outdated info. Even Zoo people. We have learned a tremendous amount in the last few years and the above info reflects that new knowledge and understanding.

No we only have the one tortoise, I only say "them" because I have no idea how to check if it's a boy or a girl, as silly as that is. We've been trying as best we can to give them the best enclosure we could get at short notice. We had no time to prepare a shelter for it, it's not like we planned on getting an African tortoise. I'll brush up on the links you sent me, thank you by the way.

Below is a picture of the current enclosure. Note that again, this was all on the spot. We've only had it for a few days now. Once we learned what kind of tortoise it was, we threw together what we had at the time. The cage is about 30" in length, the light attached to the cage is all we have right now that might give off the slightest bit of heat until we get a basking lamp. The hay is timothy hay, which we were told by a man at the local zoo would be sufficient for bedding since they are grazers. The Faygo box was my idea, because he kept trying to get into corners, so I thought he might like a place to hide. The pan is filled about halfway up with water for him to soak in, which he has done himself on several occasions. The wood next to it is so he can climb in and out ok without drenching the cage and himself with water, as well as it being rugged enough so that it could climb it, nothing plastic or slippery that they might struggle with. My mother is out looking for heat lamps as I type this, and she also said she might have some appropriate substrate somewhere in the house, and if not, she has to run out tomorrow and might be able to get something more suitable.

20151203_212459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZamTheMan

PIttsburgh, PA
If you haven't already you should give them a good warm soak to heat them up and rehydrate them some after getting so cold outside. Just make sure they don't get cold afterwards while they are still wet. The warm soak will also help them poo some if they need to.

It is truly great that that you found them and are taking care of them, at that size they made not have survived the night with it being that cold. Sulcatas are true masters of escaping though so the owners may not have abandoned them (but they may have after they realized the commitment and how large they get). Ask all the questions you have, we have the best experts here especially on sulcatas. No @Tom, I am not sucking up though I would like a SA leopard hatchling when your group starts to lay eggs...... ;)

I thought about soaking them in warm water, but wasn't sure if that was something I should do or not, thank you. I don't really know how such a little guy could escape, but I don't doubt the cruelty of people dumping off a turtle down by a lake when they didn't wanna care for it either. But I don't know, so I can't say for certain. I'll give them a proper soak tonight or tomorrow. They're in their little "house" I made for them, and I'm unsure if I should bother them or not. I don't wanna stress the poor thing out moving them around constantly.

ZamTheMan

PIttsburgh, PA
Best of luck & PLEASE realize everyone here is trying to help you and the tortoise. Some stuff may sound drill-sergeant like, but it is for the well being of the animal. Listen to the folks on here who have decades of experience with sulcata and other desert torts.

Kudos for taking them in and doing the right thing. Like others have said, they may not have made it through the night.

Thank you, we're doing what we can when things are tight financially around here as it is. I understand people are trying to help. The only thing I don't appreciate is being talked down to like I'm stupid, but no one has done that, so it's fine. I want to do what I can to make sure this little guy makes it. I'll post updates if anyone would be interested in that.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
OK good to hear. I see you have a Faygo box...... if you are in the Metro Detroit area, I would be more than happy to help with anything, I may have a few things to make the burden easier to bear. There is also a great rescue group in the area that I am sure would help. Private Message me if I can help at all.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
When you go to soak him use warm water 95-100f and only put enough water in where he can lay down and still breath without stretching his neck too far. About 1 inch deep. Make it cover the seam between the upper and lower shell.
15 min and the water gets cold so you may need to add more warm water.

right now I would cover the cage with foil and it will hold the heat in.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It's so loving of you to take in this poor sulcata, especially since the weather is turning killing cold for this tort. All the above advice is great for starters. Your tort isn't eating because his body and environment is too cold. Your daily routine (sulcatas love routine) for now should look like this. When you get up in the morning, give him/her a warm soak for 30 minutes or as long as he wants to say there. After the soak, prepare a nice meal for him. You can get some cut or grown grass. If you can't get grass, see if you can find some green weeds. Some of us here buy endive and dandelion at the grocery store, and you can cut it up and mix it in with the grass/weeds. For a little variety-, you can add cut up carrots, along with the leafy stems, if you can get it. I like to add a little slice of apple every once in a while. I use a product called Mazuri which all torts love, and Grassland which you can order online from any store that sells reptile products. When you soak the Mazuri and grassland with all the other things, shape it intro a ball on a bed of green romaine lettuce, and watch him go for it.

The enclosure will never hold the heat he needs cause it's totally opened. it would be better to get a large tank (about 40-50 gal). Tom's threads on Sulcata care are most helpful in finding the proper substrate and enclosure. In time, you can get most of what his environment needs.

But, first you need to keep him warm, feed, and in a safe place free from drafts and other animals. Please, please, do not ever leave your tort where a dog can get to him. No matter how good a dog is, his nature is too rough for a tort, and he may die.

Most of all, read, read, and read all of Tom's threads on Sulcata care. Here is where you will really learn how to care for these creatures. Keep us posted on any updates and continue to ask questions, I have four of these creatures, and most of what I know came from here at this forum.:)

GRohr

I thought about soaking them in warm water, but wasn't sure if that was something I should do or not, thank you. I don't really know how such a little guy could escape, but I don't doubt the cruelty of people dumping off a turtle down by a lake when they didn't wanna care for it either. But I don't know, so I can't say for certain. I'll give them a proper soak tonight or tomorrow. They're in their little "house" I made for them, and I'm unsure if I should bother them or not. I don't wanna stress the poor thing out moving them around constantly.

At that size you could still soak him every day. If it were me, I would soak him every day for the next week at least and then do it every other day. To be fair though, I do not have a sulcata, Tom or DeanS will let you know what is best.

If you do end up keeping him, he will need a lager enclosure and an enclosure that you can bump up the humidity some (it will help his shell from pyramiding more). Things i would recommend that you get is a Mercury vapor bulb (this provides proper day time light, UVB and heat all in one), then a ceramic heat element (this will be good for overall temperature and night time heat). Most people also hook the CHEs to a thermostat controller. All of this can be bought from Amazon and cheaper than a pet store. Keep asking questions though!

ZamTheMan

PIttsburgh, PA
ok here's the first update: so we got the heat lamp thankfully, and the moment we turned it on he started being active again almost instantly. He's looped around his pen several times, and dipped himself in and out of his little pool each time. I don't think he's been this active since we found him! He also seemed like he was trying to eat the leafy greens we put in the pen, but then he turned away and started doing more loops. Hopefully he'll eat soon. He's now just chilling under the light. I think he tuckered himself out. I've read all comments thus far, and I wanted to thank everyone for the advice and support. I'll be sure to take steps and give him the best home we can, and study up on the links I've been given.

As for retaining heat in his pen, we have a very thick blanket to drape over when the lamp is not in use, so hopefully that will keep the heat in for now when we need to turn the lamp off.

I think my only question left for now is how long does it take for tortoises like this one to grow? He's about 6" now, which I've been told is very young. I just want to know when I need to start worrying about building a dog house for the tortoise.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I've seen some that are 10 years old at 6 inches, but they've been in the same situation as yours was, which wasn't good. There's no average growth rate for this species. For example, I have a 3 year old sulcata that's 15-16 inches in length and 30 pounds. I've seen some bigger at the same age as mine too. My sulcata also gained 16 pounds in one year. It's the third largest species in the world, so be prepared! So glad you found this forum and gave this guy a new home! He may have a growth spurt in the spring!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
ok here's the first update: so we got the heat lamp thankfully, and the moment we turned it on he started being active again almost instantly. He's looped around his pen several times, and dipped himself in and out of his little pool each time. I don't think he's been this active since we found him! He also seemed like he was trying to eat the leafy greens we put in the pen, but then he turned away and started doing more loops. Hopefully he'll eat soon. He's now just chilling under the light. I think he tuckered himself out. I've read all comments thus far, and I wanted to thank everyone for the advice and support. I'll be sure to take steps and give him the best home we can, and study up on the links I've been given.

As for retaining heat in his pen, we have a very thick blanket to drape over when the lamp is not in use, so hopefully that will keep the heat in for now when we need to turn the lamp off.

I think my only question left for now is how long does it take for tortoises like this one to grow? He's about 6" now, which I've been told is very young. I just want to know when I need to start worrying about building a dog house for the tortoise.

You'll need to built a little more than a doghouse cause the outdoor enclosure, if that's what you're looking to put him, will need sustained heat and humidity all year round. Also, his size is not an indication of his age. I have a rescued Sulcata that weighed 4 ounces when I got her, and she was 3 years old! Do this test. gently push down on the tort's carapace and/or plastron (the top and bottom shell) and see if it gives in. Is it soft or squishy? Then get back to me. Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do you know how big these tortoises get? they are a very large tortoise when they reach full size second largest land tortoise out there. if they're fed well and in a warm environment they grow very fast. they are great tortoise to own.