Request for help with old lady’s old tortoise

AchillesIsaLoser

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi,
my partner’s grandmother is 100, and has a tortoise that came with a house she got decades ago, so unknown age but she knows from the previous owners it is at least 120. It’s April and has been warmer than usual recently, but it hasn’t woken up, and I’m terrified that if anything bad happens to the tortoise, the old lady might be in trouble as she’s loved it for decades and statistically, the very old often give up the ghost if a beloved pet dies. I know nothing about tortoises but need to do my best to help if I can. What should I do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
my partner’s grandmother is 100, and has a tortoise that came with a house she got decades ago, so unknown age but she knows from the previous owners it is at least 120. It’s April and has been warmer than usual recently, but it hasn’t woken up, and I’m terrified that if anything bad happens to the tortoise, the old lady might be in trouble as she’s loved it for decades and statistically, the very old often give up the ghost if a beloved pet dies. I know nothing about tortoises but need to do my best to help if I can. What should I do?
Keep doing whatever she's been doing for 100 years.

Here is some general care info:

Most of the info you need will be in there, but questions are welcome.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Keep doing whatever she's been doing for 100 years.

Here is some general care info:

Most of the info you need will be in there, but questions are welcome.
This sounds like the best advice your going to get, it's worked. We (this includes me) sometimes let emotions guide us through something we are unsure about. It is not always the BEST solution. The tort will LOVE a warm soak and keeping it's temp "Warm." Please keep us posted on how things are going. WE ALL want this tort to outlive her, don't for any reason feel your asking dumb questions and ask whatever, whenever you need to.
That picture is absolutely Beautiful. If it makes her or you feel better let her know that there are "Professional" Tortoise people you are speaking with.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's a wonderful photo of the most enduring manifestation of TLC all round - for both tortoise and human! Fabulous tortoise. Congratulations.

AchillesIsaLoser

London
Hi,
Thanks for all your advice! We did what you said and the tortoise is now stirring, much to the grandmother’s delight.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thanks for all your advice! We did what you said and the tortoise is now stirring, much to the grandmother’s delight.
YES, Thank You for the update. You might not think it but there are people that were wondering how it was going. The update was a good one to.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Lovely to see the elderly tortoise, hope you can look after it for many more years. Amazing smooth shell condition. Please keep us updated as most of us have much younger torts.