Reporting from Pakistan

ARA

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Am not a regular forum member but I do check off and on to search for any queries regarding tortoise care. You guys have a great forum here and have been very helpful to me. Sometime back I got an adult Russian tortoise which the forum members were very kind enough to identify for me. She was also correctly identified as a female.

I am pleased to report that not only is she doing well but now has three other companions to keep company. All of these appear to be wild caught and are at least 8 inches and larger in size. Hope you enjoy the pics.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394275715.369761.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394276157.672293.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1394276101.234537.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1394276101.234537.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here. You have some very nice tortoises there. And looks like you take a good care of them. Thank you for share those pictures.

Ida

Great looking pictures of your torts! Thanks for sharing..

ARA

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments. It's sad that unscrupulous people in our country catch them and kill them or sell them live to the Chinese traders for medicinal purposes. All of these we're rescued from weekend markets. Average cost for each one was around $15

I did give all of them a nice soak and scrubbing after taking the photographs but unfortunately forgot to take the after photos. Will try to post better pics.

Two of the tortoises do have cracked shells but nothing to worry about. Seem completely normal and fine in behaviour. They have quite a large enclosure with plenty of plants to hide in or burrow.

These are a pair of domestically bred Sulcata babies that I am taking care of :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394283585.456856.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ARA

5 Year Member
Now raising six baby sulcatas

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408214860.474314.jpg

Two of the larger ones are the babies who's pic I posted earlier. It's been a couple of months now and their growth is noticeable. I plan on shifting them to an outdoor enclosure covered with mesh wire.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool. Looks like you've got it all under control.

ARA

5 Year Member
Thank you Tom. All credit to you and this forum for your tireless work to educate and guide ppl like me. Though I don't participate much in the forums, I do try to follow your tips and experienced advice.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wow! Pakistan is a beautiful country, I'm reading a book that talks a lot about Pakistan. Nice tortoises you own there :) :D

ARA

5 Year Member
Thank you guys. Can't tell you how much your encouragement means to me.

Pakistan is a beautiful country, unfortunately terrorism, poverty and lack of education has pushed our beautiful country into a downward spiral.

ARA

5 Year Member
I have seen some tortoise babies with some breeders here who call them afghan tortoises. They are completely khaki in colour. Any idea guys what breed they might be, don't look like Russian tortoises cause I've seen Russian tortoise babies. I'll try to snap a picture next time I see them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Afghan tortoise is just another name for Russian or Horsefield's tortoise.

ARA

5 Year Member
Yes I am aware of that, but this guy had Russian babies as well and colour wise these were quite different

If I see them again I'll just buy them for further study

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Yes I am aware of that, but this guy had Russian babies as well and colour wise these were quite different

If I see them again I'll just buy them for further study
Different genetic lines maybe? For some tortoises darker coloring just means they live in higher altitudes, maybe thats true for Russians?