Relocated and revamped Cherryhead enclosure...

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Over the past few days I rebuilt and relocated the 6x10 enclosure. I also added a 2x6 enclosed hide that I can heat.
The former location had grown up and was way too shady and stayed very wet. image.jpeg
Old location a few years ago.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Wow. That is beautiful - everything from the habitat to the surrounding foliage. Just Wow!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Wow. That is beautiful - everything from the habitat to the surrounding foliage. Just Wow!
Thanks. I've learned a lot over the 4 yearsfrom trial and error...
@allegraf and @cdmay have helped tremendously.
I'm able to grow most of the greens these two eat. Cranberry hibiscus is their new favorite.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Agree with everyone else Charlie.
One word of caution...if you use pressure treated wood, be sure that water doesn't drip into food or water pans after rains, sprinkling, and so on.
I highly suspect that I lost some yearlings years ago to this after I constructed a pen with overhead beams for screening made of new pressure treated wood.
Every time I watered or it rained the water would drip into the tortoises food and water dishes.
Within a month they all suddenly started getting sick and then they died a few weeks later.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@cdmay I'm glad you posted this, even though it's just a suspicion. I'm planning on building an outdoor enclosure and I want to minimize any and all possible risks.

Also, I'm so sorry about the loss of your babies. Losing so many must be heartbreaking.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Agree with everyone else Charlie.
One word of caution...if you use pressure treated wood, be sure that water doesn't drip into food or water pans after rains, sprinkling, and so on.
I highly suspect that I lost some yearlings years ago to this after I constructed a pen with overhead beams for screening made of new pressure treated wood.
Every time I watered or it rained the water would drip into the tortoises food and water dishes.
Within a month they all suddenly started getting sick and then they died a few weeks later.
Carl your absoulutey right ......up until the mid 2000's the preservative most commonly used in residential pressure-treated lumber was chromated copper arsenate (CCA), an extremely toxic chemical. Remember "Arsenic and Old Lace"? How about that old box of rat poison you have lurking in the garage? CCA is so toxic that the Environmental Protection Agency, over 20 years ago, imposed strict guidelines regarding the manufacturing practices of companies using CCA. They have made a more mild solution....and in CA it is very well regulated and you can find a stamp on the lumber itself.