Redfoot

Dawn'sTooToo

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I volunteer at a refuge - we have a 15-18 month old Redfoot and have been offering live protein (worms, mealworms, phoenix worms) every other week. I've never seen her eat them and find them later in substrate. Wondering best protein sources (I fed egg yesterday and it disappeared quickly) and how often at this age. TIA

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I tagged a RF keeper who can help. I do know eggs can be fed as the protein but it also needs fruit and other foods other than just proteins.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Protein can be a regular part of the varied diet.
Just don't make it the primary offering very often.
I use eggs, soft dog food. Soft cat food and boiled chicken most often. But you can get more creative if you'd like.
10% would be a good ratio. But don't obsess over that number. And don't skimp on the fruit.
I feed mune over 50% fruit

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
Protein can be a regular part of the varied diet.
Just don't make it the primary offering very often.
I use eggs, soft dog food. Soft cat food and boiled chicken most often. But you can get more creative if you'd like.
10% would be a good ratio. But don't obsess over that number. And don't skimp on the fruit.
I feed mune over 50% fruit
Thank you so much. I know this one LOVES fruits so I offer readily on the days I feed in addition to the safe weeds and store bought greens and will offer protein more often as she most likely doesn't get when I'm not there. I'm planning outdoor time of about 1-2 hours /day as the weather improves. Unfortunately in our area (mountains of NC) we don't often get the 80+ degrees they like but definitely have the humidity. I just built her a 4 x 6ft indoor and she seems to love the space - I have it "tented" to keep humidity around 80% and temp around 80F. I try to follow the care sheets as close as possible for all the torts we have.