My RT threw up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest
This morning when I walked over to Noah's tortoise table I found a rather large pile of vomit. From what I have read, it is very unusual for them to vomit and can indicate health problems. There are photos of it attached below. His vomit consists of Timothy hay, Aloe Vera, and it does have some bubbles.

Just some info...
-He lives in a 4.5ft x 4ft tortoise table
-Basking spot: 95 F
-Cool end: 72 F
-Night: 68 F
-Humidity on the cool end is 50% and of course the basking spot has lower humidity
-His diet consists of kale, collards, romaine, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, radicchio, etc.
-He does get natural UV rays outside weekly. During that time he does eat some grassy weeds, they aren't sprayed with herbicides or pesticides.
-He gets soaked twice a week and I water down his food a bit to help with hydration.
-The Aloe Vera was from a nursery and I changed out the soil twice and let it sit for about 8months before giving it to him. He has had Aloe plants numerous times in the past (I used the same process before giving to him) with no issues.
-He has been passing normal urates/urine.
-I haven't noticed feces in awhile, but I assumed that maybe he was eating them.
-I noticed that he ate a rather large amount of Aloe yesterday afternoon and early this morning before I found the pile of vomit. Could the large amount he ate have upset his stomach?
-He has not had a fecal examination for parasites.
-I've owned him for almost two years and he has always seemed like a healthy tortoise.

Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this? Should I offer him some food? Should i give him a soak? Should I be concerned about this or not?
I would like to take him to a vet and ask them about this + get a fecal exam done. The only issue is I live in Eastern WA and there are no vets that specialize in reptiles. I would be willing to drive quite a ways if any of you knew of reputable vets. Do you think he needs to see a vet about this?

Sorry about how long this is, I am just really worried and confused at the moment!

Noahvomit152_zps7a426f0d.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Noahvomit151_zps17170af5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Bumping...

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I don't know so this is just guess, could it be the aloe? I know if they eat too much of it they can get diarrhea, I wonder if it can have a vomiting effect as well?

Either way here is another bump for you.

Russian_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the reply, I really have no idea.
--------------
He has been under his light in the exact same position for over 3 hours. I'm thinking that a vet appointment is in order. I've checked the Oregon and Washington vet list on TFO, does anyone recommend any of the vets listed?
In the mean time, what should I do? Should I offer him some food? Should I give him a long soak? Should I leave him be under his light?

Russian_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
*Update*
I ended up taking him outside to see if it would help matters. The warm, sunny day seemed to improve his energy level! He roamed around, ate some dandelions/other grassy weeds, took a rather large #2, and then got a soak. He was breathing fine, moving around fine, eating fine, etc. while outside although during the soak he did something that alarmed me. He began to bob his head quickly almost like he was going to vomit, but his mouth didn't open and he ended up stopping after several seconds.
Would there be any harm in worming his with a correct dosage of Panacur without getting a fecal exam done?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I wish I had answers for you, how about you pm someone with a lot of torts, try Tom or Yvonne they both have a lot of experience and may be able to help, in the mean time keep searchin for forums about vomit and lethargy and see what others say

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
One of mine threw up once. I was quite alarmed too. But nothing came of it. It seemed to be an isolated incident.

I hope your guy is okay, ultimately.

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.