red footed tortoise

Madlyn

Location (City and/or State)
Crystal Lake
I have a 10 year old tortoise. recently I have noticed that he is not pooping. Is there something I can do or is this normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need a lot more info
Temps, humidity, diet, substrate, enclosure size, indoors or outside living?

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
We need a lot more info
Temps, humidity, diet, substrate, enclosure size, indoors or outside living?
Temps are kept at 85-87degrees. Daily diet consists of romaine lettuce, strips of red, yellow and green peppers, berries, carrots and a handful of pellets. Enclosure size is 4 x 4 feet, substrate is bark. Tortoise has been an inside living pet.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
He might be constipated.
What about bathing/soaking in warm water? It should be done at least once a week - this usually helps.
4x4 feet enclosure might be small for a 10 y.o. redfoot - he has a little space to roam which in turn affects his ability to digest food and move it through intestines.

Also, his diet needs more variety. More leafy greens, fruit, mushrooms and less pellets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That enclosure is way too small for a 10 year old. That's the size for a baby not an adult. If they don't have enough room to properly roam, their insides start to not work properly. They will also start not being able to walk properly. Must be given a much bigger enclosure ASAP!
The diet needs protein added. The rest of it isn't bad as long as it's not just one thing for a long time.
@ZEROPILOT

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
Hello!
He might be constipated.
What about bathing/soaking in warm water? It should be done at least once a week - this usually helps.
4x4 feet enclosure might be small for a 10 y.o. redfoot - he has a little space to roam which in turn affects
Hello!
He might be constipated.
4x4 feet enclosure might be small for a 10 y.o. redfoot - he has a little space to roam which in turn affects his ability to digest food and move it through intestines.

Also, his diet needs more variety. More leafy greens, fruit, mushrooms and less pellets.

ty to digest food and move it through intestines.

Can you advise me on more variety of leafy greens, fruit

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
That enclosure is way too small for a 10 year old. That's the size for a baby not an adult. If they don't have enough room to properly roam, their insides start to not work properly. They will also start not being able to walk properly. Must be given a much bigger enclosure ASAP!
The diet needs protein added. The rest of it isn't bad as long as it's not just one thing for a long time.
@ZEROPILOT
What foods are considered protein?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's almost anything you can eat :)

Mango and papaya are probably the best options. Occasional banana, strawberries, blueberries, apple, kiwi, pineapple, guava, apples, pears - whatever have at hand. Sometimes cherry tomatoes or a slice of orange (citrus aren't the best options, but okay very sparingly). Fruit can be up to 40-60% of their diet, depending on season.

Greens: hibiscus leaves and flowers, mulberry and grape leaves, mallow, broadleaf plaintain, some dandelions (leaves and flowers). Opuntia cactus pads and fruit (prickly pear) - e.g. from Mexican food stores. Out of grocery store foods - squashes, radicchio, endive, kale, arugula, cilantro, lettuces other than iceberg, sometimes chard, mustard or collard greens. It should be 40-60% of diet.

Mushrooms - up to 10-20%. Redfoots love them. White mushrooms are fine, sometimes oyster or porto bello mushrooms.

Protein (animal) - once in a week of two, about 10% of diet. Hard-boiled eggs, low fat boiled meat (without salt) like chicken breast, shrimps, invertebrates (like mealworms), high quality low-fat cat food.

You can look here for example diet plans: https://tortoiselibrary.com/nutrition-2/diet-plans-omnivore/

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have had my RF for 10 years. He has been in 8 foot square habitat for at least 1 year.
This habitat is really small for him. You need to go as large as you can. 8x4 is a desired minimum for a 5-6 inches tortoise. If you can setup him space outdoors (be it a garden or balcony) - this would be great.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
Hello!
He might be constipated.

Also, his diet needs more variety. More leafy greens, fruit, mushrooms and less

Hello!
He might be constipated.

Hello!
He might be constipated.

The diet needs protein added. The rest of it isn't bad as long as it's not just one thing

Can you advise me on what type of low fat cat food is okay for RF tortoise? Dry or wet?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't feed cat food to mine, but maybe @ZEROPILOT can recommend something.

Wet or dry, I guess, doesn't really matter (you have to wet kibbles anyway).
I feed both high quality wet dog or cat food on occasion.
Not very often.
It's just something that can be a convenient item on those busy days.
Large tortoises can eat the small, dry food. But I'd only feed that under supervision