red foot w/pneumonia & possible stomach bug w/ vet care

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member
Hi,my name is James.I live in Ontario,Canada.I have a red foot tortoise that I have had for 10 years.I also have rats and 2 geckos and a glue tongued skink.

I will attempt to make a diary of my experience here for anyone who might come after me with the same problems in the future and might interest others.

I`ve been treating my red foot 'fruity' for the past 2 weeks with baytrill injections,and it has really bounced back but I saw the vet again today and we are going to do 2 more weeks of baytrill injections and also injections of tribissen because its having periodic bouts of the runs.My feeling this is because of stress and the vet thinks its possible as well.The doctor wanted to spend money to do an analysis of its stool,but I requested to just assume it might have a stomach bug and just start treating it which I think saved me about $180.00 and gives my tortoise faster treatment.

I will keep you posted............James.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
RE: Treating my adult red foot for pneumonia and possible stomach bug w/ vet care

Hello and welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Treating my adult red foot for pneumonia and possible stomach bug w/ vet care

Hello and Welcome. Others can comment on the treatment. I know nothing about the stuff. Good luck with your tort.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois

sorry to hear about your red foot. hope he has a speedy recovery and look
forward to hearing on his progress and what is used to get him well.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Treating my adult red foot for pneumonia and possible stomach bug w/ vet care

Praying for a speedy recovery :)

Life is good

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member

Thanks everyone.My red foot fruity is a Female btw.She is very stubborn and keeps me busy.I will keep you updated and give specifics on medication,dosages and progress.Thanks again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi James, and welcome to the Forum!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

How is she doing? Better I hope!!!
Glad you joined!! :)

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member

Hello back to you nice people.2 tortoises`?...kill me now.I forgot to mention I have a apx 14 year old turtle 'lucy' for the last 10 years as well.

Just an update on my red foot fruity.The last time she had any fluids coming from here mouth or nose was back on the 15th of apr.I saw the vet for a re check up after doing to weeks of baytril injections.The re check was on the 17th of apr and I was given more baytril injection stuff for 2 more weeks and tribrissen injectable for the same 2 week period. for what might have been a possible stomach bug because she had the runs.

So fruity my red foot is doing well but not 100 percent yet.She has not had any fluids from her mouth or nose since back on apr 15th and that was just a bit and she had been dry for a few days before that.Her stool is pretty much back to normal so I think the runs were from nervousness.Shes been getting 24 ml of tribrissen injectable and0.26 ml baytril injectable one per day.From the 17th to the 21st of apr fruity was`nt eating much but is now since the 21st of apr eating lots of green grapes with calcium powder and her turtle pellets dry from a dish the expensive nutrafin one.Shes a rebel who likes a high protien diet.She hates the injections but is coping.The weather was 19 degress C here about 5 days ago for the first time this spring as we`ve had a brutal winter here in Ontario,Canada.I had fruity outside for sun,the first since last fall and she got about half an hour sunlight.Its been too cold to take her out since then but tomorrow it will finally be warm enough at 19 degrees C to take her out and regularly after that till the fall.When she finally got some sunshine a few days ago it really jump started all her normal behaviours and her eating improved right away from then on.I think this warm weather will be just what fruity needs to finally get over the 'cold' shes recovering from.Fruity has a re check up at the vet on May 1st.I will update after that.Thanks again everyone.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Thanx for the update! :)
Look forward hearing from you after Fruity goes to the vet.
Best of luck!! :) :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Love the good news. Keep up the good work. Hoping for more great news after the check up:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

Sounds like you are working hard to get her better! She also sounds like a handful.
Looking forward to more good news, hopefully!

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member

Thank you for your interest everyone.And yeas my tortoise is a handful,which is funny because I have not really told you guys very much about her behavioural traits.I`ll get into that later,that being how I care for her.I`m pretty sure I`m un orthadox in my approach,partly because my red foot is a real 'individual'.I`ve had to cope with or find solutions to over come unusual situations,some of which many of you may have encountered or perhaps had`nt heard of before.If I did`nt have 3 lizards,a turtle,4 rats and fruity my red foot waiting on me I`d go into all the details of fruitys day to day life.I will do so in the future and perhaps I`ll get a usb cord at circuit city for my camera to upload some pics.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Treating my adult red foot for pneumonia and possible stomach bug w/ vet care

Hi and welcome to TFO!

I was a Tortoise before!

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member

Hi again and here is my update after Fruity`s may 1st re check up at the vet.On apr 28th I noticed Fruity had what seemed like a bit of fluids from her mouth and nose.That scared me since I had`nt seen fluids from her mouth or nose since apr 15th,2 days before her apr 17th vet check up.She has`nt had any fluids from her mouth since apr 28th.So the may 1st check up at the vet went well.The doctor was really pleased with her condition and said she showed no signs of dehydration and weight was good.The vet said Fruity should get an hour outside sunlight per day as the weather allows.The vet was really happy that fruity`s bowel movements were back to normal from having the runs that were probably from stress.Fruity did 4 weeks of baytril injections and is done with that.So the vet gave her the a ok.I insisted on another re check up for mid may and will update then.Fruity has been eating lots of greens from our backyard and her turtle pellets and green grapes with calcium powder.Right now she is burrowing under a clean towel between to old winter boots with newspaper under that and a space heater near by for her comfort,soon I`ll put her back in her enclosure for about 10 hours.Thanks again for your input or interest.I will update again in mid may.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Glad to hear all is going good.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Sorry to hear of your torts illness. Hoping Hoping a speedy recovery. As a side note, below my name is a thread from a member here on the forum. If you have a dog, plan on getti g a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home, this thread is a must read!

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member

I`m pretty sure Fruity my red foot has recovered.Her vet thinks so.I just insisted on a re check up for mid may because I`m like that.

I read the dog thread.Thats sad to think of someones small reptile dying in such a manner.I dont have a dog now,put am an experienced dog owner.I do plan to adopt a dog when I get a new place in the summer.I never leave my tortoise un attended because I have lost her in the past when she was smaller.As well she will eat anything on the floor or in the yard so I`m sure I`ll be ok as I have experience.

canadian tortoise keeper

5 Year Member

:( Yeah so Fruity is still sick.I was`nt ready to celebrate her full recovery back on may 1st at the vets.The vet gave fruity a full a ok,but I insisted on a re check up for may 15th but was at the clinic today the 11th.So from apr 15th to 28th I saw no fluids from fruitys mouth or nose.She had some slight fluid from her nose on apr 28th.I saw the vet may 1st and fruity had fluid a bit from her nose may 8th - 11th.The weather here in`nt helping as well with highs of 9C today and for a few days with highs of 15c coming this week and its almost june?!.So the vet did a culture on her nose fluids and stool and a sensitivity,whatever that is?.She had been off antibiotics (baytril) since may 1st but is back on it with an increase from 0.26 ml to 0.30ml.once per day until we get the results of the culture tests and can pin point what antibiotic would be best,and they told me it might be a drug that is unavailable due to supply issues.

I vet recheck $59.00
Baytril injectable $31.30
! culture a sensitivity (incl. collection) $120.90

$238.66 total w/ tax.

Fruty is eating well,and has been active.Her weight is up and is`nt dehydrated as well her stool is healthy looking.I will be nursing her as I have been and I will update again after I get the culture results from the vet clinic.I`m keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.