red foot tortoise eggs

kendra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
So I feel bad as I am only active here when I have questions. Anywho, my red foot tortoise on December 3 gave me 3 gorgeous eggs. Now I never had her with a male but I did buy her in May from a breeder as an adult.
I have been incubating the eggs at 30 degrees celcius but am not seeing much for development in the eggs. They are not rotting, changing color or anything so am curious as to whether they are duds or not.

Attachments

• 1420069883415.jpg
    1420069883415.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 74

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just keep them to they rot you never know .

Turtlepete

South Florida
You have the temperature right, but what about incubation substrate and ambient humidity? Looks like you have them just in a plastic container in the picture.
I've had them take anywhere from 100-190 days, so it will take a while. If your female came from a breeder then it isn't unlikely she retained sperm and the eggs are fertile.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Sorry I did a few changes for the incubation. I added a container of water to aid in humidity AND I checked today 2 eggs have dark spots, I am hoping this means growth since they still have not deflated or rotted. Sorry, I am completely green to this and just thought I would take a shot at hatching the eggs :)

Peytons torts

Sorry I did a few changes for the incubation. I added a container of water to aid in humidity AND I checked today 2 eggs have dark spots, I am hoping this means growth since they still have not deflated or rotted. Sorry, I am completely green to this and just thought I would take a shot at hatching the eggs :)
If they are little babies in there congrats !!!!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I had a cherry head that incubated @ 30 C for 251 days before hatching. When candling eggs you should see a reddish/pinkish hue and/or blood vessels after a couple of weeks but don't give up! I have left some in the incubator for 18 months just to be sure...

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
This ended up being completely accidental. I am more set up for pythons than torts but at least babies take time to hatch and grow. I am so stoked and it is the waiting that will be the ultimate killer for me for sure!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had some eggs in an incubator that I wasn't sure about..until two of them exploded while I was at work. The whole house smelled like a sewage plant. Now I know to look for the dark areas, veins, etc. I had none. Now that I'm ready, I have no eggs to incubate.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Ok so they will be 2 months February 3. Becoming hopeful as none have deflated of blown

Attachments

• 20150123_175342.jpg
    20150123_175342.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20150123_175407.jpg
    20150123_175407.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150123_175500.jpg
    20150123_175500.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 74

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
And sorry for the quality. I really don't want to move them much

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
So is the average for Red Foots around that 150 day mark? Trying to find the best answer but failing miserably... I am so excited for the chance of having little babies crawling around

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
So is the average for Red Foots around that 150 day mark? Trying to find the best answer but failing miserably... I am so excited for the chance of having little babies crawling around
That's a pretty accurate starting point. They are tortoises so they could be earlier or later..keep a close eye every few days after about 110 or so.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I had some eggs in an incubator that I wasn't sure about..until two of them exploded while I was at work. The whole house smelled like a sewage plant. Now I know to look for the dark areas, veins, etc. I had none. Now that I'm ready, I have no eggs to incubate.
:(

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
So exciting!!!!!!!!!! If you have babies hatch you might have to watch out that I don't sneak in to your house at night and steal them all. LOL <_<

Tgordon600

If you do hatch them, would you sell one after it matured and grew for a few months?