Red foot in water dish constantly for a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mstwitch223

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have had Carlos for over a year, and lately she (yea.. Just realized Carlos is a girl) has been soaking in her water dish all day. She gets out occasionally to eat and sleep in her hide-away. This has been going on for at least a week. I saw somewhere that their shells can rot, and tht soaking all the time can be a sign of parasites. She's never been to the vet but I'm highly consodering it. What do youthink is going on?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is the temp and humidity in her enclosure. Redfoots need a high humidity without the soil being soaked.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Has your tort been outdoors yet? If there's nothing wrong with her, perhaps she's looking to get outside. Torts get depressed if they can't do what comes natural for them. If you haven't built an outdoor enclosure yet, maybe you should start if you can. You may also want to have your tort's fecal matter checked for parasites. At least that would put your mind at ease. If she has worms, you'll be given meds, and maybe the self-soaks all day will stop. If not, look into the outdoor enclosure.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Is your tank being kept too hot, and she is soaking to regulate her body temp?

Mstwitch223

5 Year Member
Florida
luvpetz27 said:
How is she doing now?

She got out of her dish to go under her hide away to sleep. I'm not home right now so I don't know if she's still there, back in the dish, or wandering around.
sibi said:
Has your tort been outdoors yet? If there's nothing wrong with her, perhaps she's looking to get outside. Torts get depressed if they can't do what comes natural for them. If you haven't built an outdoor enclosure yet, maybe you should start if you can. You may also want to have your tort's fecal matter checked for parasites. At least that would put your mind at ease. If she has worms, you'll be given meds, and maybe the self-soaks all day will stop. If not, look into the outdoor enclosure.

She gets outside only occasionaly. I'm looking into building an outdoor tortoise table though.
N2TORTS said:
How big is she ?

She is about 4 inches from side to side.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Mstwitch223 said:
N2TORTS said:
How big is she ?

She is about 4 inches from side to side.
Okie dokie .... the reason I asked ........after reading your story ,I was considering that you might have had an adult ...and my hypotheses was since you have just found out He was a She , She possibly was ready to nest. Just some future info , almost always you will find your adult female RF soaking for days or even a "week" or more prior to nesting. This is one of the tell tell signs of what to look for when breeding RF's . For your situation , as others have mentioned keep the temps stable with a " cool" side .....keep the water clean , if no visible defects and she is eating well , everything sounds ok …Good luck with yor little guy ~
JD:)

Status
Not open for further replies.