Recommendation for pond turtle in Oregon

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
A good friend has a huge decorative pond, and has asked me for help choosing a turtle for her pond.
They've never had one before, so I'm asking my TFO turtle experts for advice on a good "starter turtle".

Nice couple, semi retired, not rich, but able to buy recommended equipment. Would most likely prefer temperament and hardiness over ornate.

Climate is western Oregon...so rainy and cold most of the year, occasional freeze.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I forwarded the species name, and a link to Austin's Turtle page to her. Any other species suggestions? Would anyone be willing to have her email you for mentoring?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
She can email me if she likes. This sort of stuff is my favorite. [email protected]. There is a long list of turtles that will do well in said climate.

Some more information could make the decision easier as well. How large of a turtle would they like? Is there substrate in the bottom of the pond? Do they plan to breed the turtle? Would they be willing to hibernate outside/overwinter indoors? Etc...

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Anthony P said:
She can email me if she likes. This sort of stuff is my favorite. [email protected]. There is a long list of turtles that will do well in said climate.

Some more information could make the decision easier as well. How large of a turtle would they like? Is there substrate in the bottom of the pond? Do they plan to breed the turtle? Would they be willing to hibernate outside/overwinter indoors? Etc...

Thank you! Her name is Karen Edwards and she is a dear friend...the kind that really steps up to the plate when you need help. She's been asking about a turtle for awhile. I can't really offer much help, as I know very little about them, esp for outdoor living.
I'm sure she will email you.