Rant...why do people wait so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Over and over on this forum I read posts about people's tortoises dying because they go weeks or months being sick before they take action and then all of a sudden are surprised when it dies!? I just don't get it. If your tortoise isn't eating or is sick, please do not wait to take action!!!! Every time I read these posts I get super irritated and annoyed that the OP is aware of the problem yet didn't try to fix it until they are on deaths door. /rant

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Right. Like a dog or cat would be at the vet on day 3. I think though, this may be impart due to the lack of interaction between owner and tortoise. For me, my 8 russians get inspected 2x's per day at minimum. When moving them to the outside enclosure, I check everyone's vent and nares, and again in the evening, when everyone comes in. Then during the day, I will periodically hang out with them just to observe behavior to ensure all is well.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would have to agree with Ken, I think some tortoise owners are under the assumption that they have a tortoise that doesnt need daily care. Also living conditions for the particular species are not correct for a period of time. I have also noticed that people seem to wait quite awhile before taking action on a sick tortoise. I am up changing tortoise water and feeding at 4 am because of my work. My Mom an wife check on them during the day. I get home from work and check on them again. Tortoise owners just need to be on top of the daily care and propor husbandry so they dont get sick in the first place,,,,,,,Thats what I try to do

Status
Not open for further replies.