Rain, rain go away

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

So as winters go in Oregon this one hasn't been so bad...if you like rain and you are not a Sulcata tortoise. But Bob IS a Sulcata tortoise and he's pretty tired of rain. This is what he has had to look at for about 8 months...
20gb0hc.jpg

I guess he has to check and make sure it's water...
noc12t.jpg

This is what he looks like after being caught in a rain storm. Not very pretty or distinguished for King Robert...
13z3gi1.jpg

Look at how dirty his skin is, look past his face at the soft skin in by his carapace. How in the heck is he gonna allow me to scrub away that dirt?
30j1m3a.jpg

We cleaned up Bob's shed when the sun started to shine. I hired a carpenter to come in and help me...this is what we did with the heater...
emvs6.jpg

Bob loves to play with his water dish on those long rainy days when he is stuck inside his shed. So he poops in it and dumps mud and dirt in it and totally makes it so he can't drink the water, or he just plain spills the water all over. So this is what we did with his water dish...
1z4xtap.jpg

But because Bob is Bob all that carpentry work did nothing, he still climbs over the dish and poops in it. The stand has just made it harder for him to get up on...the jerk!

OMG! What is that in his mouth? Is it grass? Are you actually grazing outside?
o8dkx2.jpg

Look at how cute he is...
282nmr.jpg

He can also be pretty silly. The sun is shining and it's almost warm at 50 degrees...
2qnzl9e.jpg

This is the prettiest tortoise around. Look at how regal he is, this one's for Missy.......
34ijxvm.jpg

I guess that's it. No story, just some pictures of the King. My son and I are figuring he's weighing close to 100 pounds now adding in the weight he gained over the winter. He has an event in a couple of weeks and we'll weigh him then...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Bob truly IS the King! I love his two-track path alongside the cinder blocks! Dudley has one of those too.

I'm a little worried about the heater being so close to the wall???

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Very handsome fellow.

I'm just curious, what kind of event does he have in a couple weeks?

M

Maggie Cummings

OllieInAZ said:
Very handsome fellow.

I'm just curious, what kind of event does he have in a couple weeks?

Bob is sponsored by Senior Dog Rescue...they use him to attract a crowd and then they tell about adopting a senior dog. This one is at Oregon State University, you'd be amazed at the number of people who come over to look at Bob and ask questions about him. I am told that they adopt out more dogs when Bob is at the event then when he is not there...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nothing attracts more attention than a big tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:

How about bikini ladies mud wrestling?

... I'm just saying, I think it would attract MORE attention than a big tortoise.

Maggie, at least he's well hydrated. :)

angdavis

5 Year Member
sandy utah
so what do you feed bob in the winter when he cant graze? just curious on what you feed a 100lb sully.. mine are so little.. i couldnt imagine how to keep this handsome full!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Love all the pics, I cannot even imagine Bob climbing up to poop in his water dish! He must love pooping in water!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Robert said:
Tom said:
dmmj said:

How about bikini ladies mud wrestling?

Bikini ladies holding a giant tortoise..... I'm just saying:D

Rob, those would have to be some seriously buff bo-hunkus ladies, just saying. Anyway, guys, Bob already did the mud wrestling;)

NavyDT

5 Year Member
Maggie,

i grew up in lebanon oregon, which im sure you know is only 30 mins away from you! woot, its a small world after all!

M

Maggie Cummings

angdavis said:
so what do you feed bob in the winter when he cant graze? just curious on what you feed a 100lb sully.. mine are so little.. i couldnt imagine how to keep this handsome full!

At the beginning of winter I go to my feed store and they let me fill 2 HUGE bags of the loose hay from their bales. The local Market of Choice gives me their smallish bags if lettuces whenever I go in and that's about 3 times a week, And then lastly but most bestest I have an anonymous donor who sends me a check every month on the 1st to make sure Bob can stay here with me. It would be really hard for me to pay for food for all the tortoises here, so I am very grateful for the people and organizations who provide money and food for my animals. I couldn't do what I do without them.

NavyDT said:
Maggie,

i grew up in lebanon oregon, which im sure you know is only 30 mins away from you! woot, its a small world after all!

I go to the Ace Hardware store there...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I wonder why you don't dispense with the water dish, at least during the 9 rainy months you get up there in Corvalis. It seems that with all the rain you get up there, he would have ample opportunity to drink without the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.