question regarding lighting/heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowser16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Hello.. i know that RT's need 12-14 hours of the uv/heat lamp (i have a solar glo) but i was wondering if it matters what time in the morning to turn it on.. iv been turning it on before i go to school which is around 7, but on the weekends i usually sleep in til 12 or so.. if i have to i can set an alarm to be up earlier..but im hoping i dont have to :)[/font]

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
You can also pick up a timer at the petstore. They usually cost about ten bucks and you can get them in the fish or reptile department. They'll turn the lights on and off automatically.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I got my timers from a DIY store.

If you're going to sleep in late, put food in the enclosure before you go to bed. It'll be a little wilted first thing, but your tort won't mind... and you won't get that grumpy "where's my breakfast?" evil eye from your tort when you do get up!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use timers on all of mine too. I think its best for them if the sun comes up at the same time every day. Some gradual seasonal variations are fine, but 5 hours difference from one day to the next might not be so good.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree. Being a middle aged person with many animals to care for along with two college age human kids, I never sleep in even when home so I don't use timers. The most variation they get in their lighting is maybe an hour. But if it was an issue, it's an easy fix with an appliance timer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katelyn:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I just turn on the lights when I get up. That's usually around 6-6:30a. And I turn them off in the evening around 8p

Status
Not open for further replies.