Not open for further replies.
J

jazzywoo

we have solar glo mercury vapour lamp uv and heat combined
i have been told 2 things
1- leave on all time
2 -12 hrs on 12 hrs off
ok which is it :rolleyes:
taylor is a horsfield also what the best temp for hot spot its 30 c at the moment i have been told it doesnt matter if is gets warm as the tortoise wont be daft and will move away but surely there will be a temp where i should worry that its too warm

advice please
ann xxx

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Your tortoise needs a night time period. You really need to turn the thing off for 10-14 hours a day.

Now- will that make it too cold? A night-time temperature drop is not a problem as long as it is not too chilly (and these guys are pretty good with chilly!) I don't know what the recommended night temps are, but someone will post soon who does.

If the room gets too chilly at night, you just need some sort of night heater. I would strongly recommend a ceramic heat emitter for that. Another common option is just a small room heater to bring the room to the lowest recommended temp.

M

Maggie Cummings

Your UVB light should mimic the sun. Your tortoise wants to sleep in the dark. So I have my lights on for 12 hours. I use a black light bulb for warmth at night if needed...
I would have a basking spot of about 90 degrees and nothing colder then 70...

J

jazzywoo

maggie3fan said:
Your UVB light should mimic the sun. Your tortoise wants to sleep in the dark. So I have my lights on for 12 hours. I use a black light bulb for warmth at night if needed...
I would have a basking spot of about 90 degrees and nothing colder then 70...
ok how stupid am i,
i went into jazzy room to check she turned off taylors light to find it has night time light too lol so i turned it to night time mode so it still has heat
thanks is that 90 f or c
is been on 30c today was that ok ?

ok im losing the plot now :rolleyes:
heat lamp update when i turned it off at its little switch it didnt turn off it has a glow to it :shy:
very tired just been to look again heat is off my other half is rofl he has just told me the inside of the light is glow in the dark very cleaver :p i didnt know since it took awhile to cool down i thought heat was on its been a long week ill stop worrying about it all now
ok when during the day heat and light is on she should move when its too hot thats ok what if she doesnt move maybe i do worry too much and im losing the plot

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Temperatures for Russians indoors can be as low as 55 degrees at night as long as ambient daytime temperatures get at least into the mid 70's. I doubt most people can get their temperaturs below 60-65 indoors in the winter. Unless you like to open your windows at night :)
They should have at 15-20 degree difference in ambient temperatures day to night.

J

jazzywoo

GBtortoises said:
Temperatures for Russians indoors can be as low as 55 degrees at night as long as ambient daytime temperatures get at least into the mid 70's. I doubt most people can get their temperaturs below 60-65 indoors in the winter. Unless you like to open your windows at night :)
They should have at 15-20 degree difference in ambient temperatures day to night.

thanks is that degrees c or degrees f ?

gyang333

5 Year Member
jazzywoo said:
GBtortoises said:

thanks is that degrees c or degrees f ?

that would be degrees f. that would kill the tortoise if it were C. But yeah it's confusing for me as well, as I know everything in celcius as I'm in canada but everything about tortoises is in F. So even though i know the temperature gradient for a tortoise, it's in F. so really they're just numbers to me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.