Question for the redfoot herders

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
After many years of a "said" group kept together and breeding well, this fall I have noticed one of the females being a tenfold aggressor in her attitude with ramming both males and other females within the herd. Even with both other sexes larger then her , she seems to be extra grumpy this year.... has anyone else with a herd type setting experience this before? This particular herd is the Cherryheads at the Cove'and consist of 2.5 Adults.

JD~

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, I do not have ANY direct experience as you are requesting....but I am a woman....and she just sounds like she would love some alone time...some me time--some, would you all just leave me the hell alone time....;)

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Does she need to lay? I have a gal that gets really pissy when she has eggs to lay.

I also notice a change in behavior when I take them from a huge pen all spring and summer and put them into a shed for winter. They hate it and let me know! Do you have a similar situation she may be reacting to?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
ascott said:
Well, I do not have ANY direct experience as you are requesting....but I am a woman....and she just sounds like she would love some alone time...some me time--some, would you all just leave me the hell alone time....;)

LOL i have no experiance either but yeah, what she said :rolleyes: (looking up)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have experienced this a few times before but only in moderation. The females that have exhibited this behavior had some kind of trouble with laying. Such as being too picky with where to lay or being young and inexperienced with laying are they reasons they have acted that way while in my care.

One other thing i have noticed is that if a female wants to be bred with she will act strangely, mounting other torts or being aggressive.

I have kept alot of redfoots together and this behavior has been a rare occurrence. In my honest opinion i have never felt it necessary to separate males and females at any point in the year at all, but if this continues i would separate her.

Status
Not open for further replies.