Question About Hot Temps in Phoenix, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TADitto

5 Year Member
OK so I have 2 Sulcatas Sake and Uni who I got back in October as hatchlings I have them inside most of the time but also have a setup for them outside that they spend about 20 hours a week in to get some sun. In their setup outside I keep them in a kiddy pool that has a shaded area along with a water bowl. Now that summer is almost here I plan to have them outside more but I'm worried it might get to hot for them. My questions is how hot is too hot for them? I'm game for all the suggestions you have.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
As long as they have a cool area to go into they should be fine, Kiddie pools often times make great outdoor enclosures, but it all depends on the size.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I live very close to you. It does get ridiculously hot! Be careful when leaving them out that the sun doesn't shift so that you torts have no way to get out of the direct sunlight (I know it's not actually the sun shifting :rolleyes:)). The surface temperatures can get up to the 170-180's quickly. It is very important that they can get out of those temperatures. As long as they have easy access to cool shady areas they should be fine even in the summer. Just be sure to watch them when the temperatures are high because unfortunately, not all tortoises are smart enough to get out of the direct sunlight even when they can.[/align]

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
As long as there is lots of shade and water then they should be fine. I would spray down the enclosure every other hour to keep the temps down and I would also plant some seeds if you have not already so they have even more places to hide and more things to eat.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Ditto with above, as long as they have shade, hides, water they should be fine.
You can also easily make a mud bath or a cement pool.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good natural shade is a must.. not a small hide that will heat up. Under a shade tree or some bushes with maybe a sprinkler even,, or a mudd hole.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I'm in Phoenix as well. Because it gets so hot here its important to have a cool area for them that is shaded. I water it down every day as well. A mud pit for wallowing will also help to cool them down. If you do that, its great to have them outside!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And remember...a cool little house that is in the sun quickly turns into a hot little oven. Your tortoise's house needs to be in the shade too.

Status
Not open for further replies.