Question about habitat setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac12997

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norwood Ma
Ok, So i currently have my RT in a 50 gal aquaurium. For substrate I have a layer of this bark material, I believe its called fir bark from the petstore and a layer of cypress mulch. The temp is at 85 degress and the humdity is at about 70%. Ive set up a basking spot under the light with a water bowl big enough to lay in and a slate stone for his claws, which I believe are getting to long. At the the other side is a hollowed log for him to hide in. Im just wondering if this is a good set up, I know that the tank isnt the best thing because its see thru, but im currently in the process of buying a big rubbermaid tank for him. Basically i am just looking for some input and suggestions to better this setup.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note of reminder to you and all other brand new forum members:

There's no need to post your threads or posts twice or more than once...new members have their posts moderated for a bit. You won't see them on the Forum until a moderator comes on line, sees and approves them.

Cadillac12997

5 Year Member
Norwood Ma
sorry about the double post, i didnt think that it went thru. I wasent aware that they are moderated first.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
i would put some sort of paper taped on the sides, no need to buy a new one if thats all it takes, i like the rubbermaids just cause they are cheap and easy to clean out. but for now just block any visibility to the outside of his enclosure. and in my opinion, i do not like that bark, i have heard it molds and falls apart when wet. cypress and coco fiber is what i have found that works best for ME.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cadillac12997 said:
Ok, So i currently have my RT in a 50 gal aquaurium. For substrate I have a layer of this bark material, I believe its called fir bark from the petstore and a layer of cypress mulch. The temp is at 85 degress and the humdity is at about 70%. Ive set up a basking spot under the light with a water bowl big enough to lay in and a slate stone for his claws, which I believe are getting to long. At the the other side is a hollowed log for him to hide in. Im just wondering if this is a good set up, I know that the tank isnt the best thing because its see thru, but im currently in the process of buying a big rubbermaid tank for him. Basically i am just looking for some input and suggestions to better this setup.:tort:

How old/big is your tortoise? Adults don't need all that humidity. Your set up sounds okay, but there are four temps to be concerned with. Cool side, warm side, basking spot, and night. Your night temps will need to be warmer than normal for a russian with that much humidity. It might be better to have the substrate dryer but offer a humid hide box. Also, a 50 is pretty small and russians like to roam a lot. Is a big outdoor pen a possibility?

Cadillac12997

5 Year Member
Norwood Ma
Tom said:
Cadillac12997 said:

How old/big is your tortoise? Adults don't need all that humidity. Your set up sounds okay, but there are four temps to be concerned with. Cool side, warm side, basking spot, and night. Your night temps will need to be warmer than normal for a russian with that much humidity. It might be better to have the substrate dryer but offer a humid hide box. Also, a 50 is pretty small and russians like to roam a lot. Is a big outdoor pen a possibility?

Im not sure how old he is, ive had him about 2 years, im thinkin maybe hes older then 5, id say his shell is about 7 inches long. Unfortinatly I cant do an outdoor pen because I live in am apartment building, but maybe a indoor pen made out a bookshelve is a possibility. I have his water bowl and slatestone under the light and at the other end a hollowed out log to hide in. ill post a picture of it when I get home from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.