quentin tarantino

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Love him..

But i cant remember the gorry one he was working with that i couldnt watch..

But pulp fiction and kill bills were great....

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Yeah, there are a few I don't like but Pulp fiction is on my top five.
Pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, inglorious bastards, death proof

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I just saw Pulp Fiction for the first time the other night and I loved it. Dusk 'til Dawn is another fave. I've probably seen a couple but just didn't know they were his though.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He has made a few stinkers IMHO, but I loved reservoir dogs, dusk till dawn, and of course pulp fiction. Pulp prob being my favorite one. I qoute pulp fiction all the time.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
He has some great ideas and has done some potentially great work.
But for me, he ruins all of his films with terminally boring scenes--or scenes that are just too much, but that go on, and on, and on. He is way too full of himself and his delusion that he is brilliant.
For the most part he is HIGHLY overrated and yet he could be great if he would just learn to edit.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
jackrat said:
Four Rooms

I have not heard of that film-- will have to check it out
Love Pulp Fiction, Dusk till Dawn, and True Romance (Wrote but not Directed)
-Bonnie
P.S. Matt Loves Resevoir Dogs too:cool:

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
cdmay said:
He has some great ideas and has done some potentially great work.
But for me, he ruins all of his films with terminally boring scenes--or scenes that are just too much, but that go on, and on, and on. He is way too full of himself and his delusion that he is brilliant.
For the most part he is HIGHLY overrated and yet he could be great if he would just learn to edit.

Agreed.
But Inglourious Bastards was GREAT. Brilliant.
But his brilliance is ALMOST ruined by his OBVIOUS arrogance in that movie.
And something about Brad Pitt's character doesn't sit right with me in that movie.
It's not HIM, it's the character.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I mostly can't watch the gratuitous violence of Tarantino's films.

I did make myself watch Pulp Fiction, and found myself laughing at scenes that should have had me cringing, but I was sort of cringing and laughing at the same time.

I think he could make movies that were just as clever, just as brilliantly written and acted, but without about 75% of the gore. I don't like stylized killing, I think it desensitizes viewers to violence in general.

If you want to see a really good "violent" movie, European style (with no guns but plenty of bare-knuckle fighting), rent Green Street Hooligans. You won't be disappointed, even though the body count is only 1 (with one implied) by the end of the movie. My husband and older son were both discomfited by that film, and commented that it was a little "too violent", which was an interesting analysis considering the absence of thousands of bullets flying everywhere like you have in American films.

Just a thought.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Chewbecca said:
Agreed.
But Inglourious Bastards was GREAT. Brilliant.
But his brilliance is ALMOST ruined by his OBVIOUS arrogance in that movie.
And something about Brad Pitt's character doesn't sit right with me in that movie.
It's not HIM, it's the character.

IB was very good and I found Brad Pitt's character to be a scream as I felt that it went along with the whole nutty premise of the film. True, he was way over the top but so was the whole movie.
I don't mind over the top but overdone is never acceptable.
A typical example of an overdone Tarantino scene is one in the film, "Bullet Proof" which by the way, was a bomb. In this one scene the camera was right up in Kurt Russell's face as he munched loudly on on some greasy nachos. The camera stayed there as Russell shoved handfuls of slop into his mouth and repeatedly sucked his fingers. It went on for several minutes (it seems anyway) with the sound done so that you could hear every little bit of the character's disgusting eating. You got the point after a few seconds but Tarantino dragged it out way beyond what was necessary. That scene, like so many others that live in Tarantino's films, seemed designed solely to annoy the audience.
I sometimes think while watching similar scenes in other Tarantino films that he is intentionally trying to just be irritating.
Same goes for his overuse of the 'F' word which he uses to an annoying extreme.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I completely agree on the negative aspects of him. That nacho crunching grossed me out though. Ugh!
And some scenes do over extend. But I am a fan of most but just not all films

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Weloveourtortoise said:
jackrat said:
Four Rooms

I have not heard of that film-- will have to check it out
Love Pulp Fiction, Dusk till Dawn, and True Romance (Wrote but not Directed)
-Bonnie
P.S. Matt Loves Resevoir Dogs too:cool:
Yeah,Q.T. is in it,along with Maddona,Kathy Griffen,Antonio Banderas,Tim Roth,Bruce Willis.Real good flick.

Status
Not open for further replies.