Pyramid Question

SherSue

Hello everybody. I've been reading this forum religiously and have probably a dumb question. Is pyramiding the point (that looks like a fold) running down the middle of his shell? Or would I see it on the sides? Does he show signs of it at all? Thanks for any input!

1496370529959.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Pyramiding is when each individual scute raises up, making his whole shell bumpy. Here's an example of good and then pyramiding:

Looks+like+a+sulcata+tortoise+with+severe+pyramiding+of+the+_e1cab9b5cbe3dec5db3fcea409ac3e7f.jpg

upload_2017-6-1_19-50-46.jpeg

SherSue

Oh wow! Major difference. Thank you! I'm trying to figure out how to convert my zoo med tortoise house to an enclosed structure so that I can increase the humidity. Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh wow! Major difference. Thank you! I'm trying to figure out how to convert my zoo med tortoise house to an enclosed structure so that I can increase the humidity. Thanks again!

Your leopard tortoise is showing no pyramiding now, but I'm glad you've already realized you need to change the enclosure if you want to keep it that way.

Here is some info to help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

SherSue

Thanks so much for the reply and the link. I've purchased just about everything from reading and re-reading that link. I wish I could just buy the proper enclosure as I am not handy with building things. I was thinking I could cover most of the grating with plexiglass. That would leave the part to put the lamps on and maybe I could put tinfoil around those to seal it more?? I feel like the lamps may be too close to him though and it will get too hot. I have a thermostat that controls the CHE, but the uvb bulb still gets hot. What do people do that want an enclosed structure? Do they sell them anywhere? Or should I just try to convert this one somehow?

Attachments

• 1496378415324.jpg
    1496378415324.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
For now you can get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit that screened area. Hardware stores that sell plexiglass tend to also offer cutting. Then you can either cut two corners off and place the globe's of the lamps over those corners or cut squares out of two corners. There's a metal tape for high temperatures- it looks like a shiny duct tape -that you can cover any area that the globe's going to touch to stop the plexiglass from melting. You may want to line the box with plastic shower curtain in order to make it so you can add a lot of water to the soil. You want the soil to be as wet as you can get it without the top layer being wet. That will cause condensation on the top of your plexiglass. Be careful when you bring your humidities up real high that you're not getting keeping that temperatures too low because that will cause a respiratory infection. You want NO LESS than 80f inside the hide but around 100f under the Basking lamp at tortoiseshell height. Most on this forum recommend a digital temperature hygrometer with the probe or two. These work better than a temp gun in a closed chamber because you don't have to open the door in order to take the temperature. (Logically the temperature changes immediately that you open the door). The thermometer hygrometers that I'm talking about can be strategically positioned Inside your enclosure with the mechanism outside the enclosure where you can see them easily every time you walk past.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 7

SherSue

Thank you for such a thorough reply! I attached a pic of another thermometer that I just purchased. Are you thinking that I won't be able to read it through the humid plexiglass?

Attachments

• 1496382147166.jpg
    1496382147166.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Thank you for such a thorough reply! I attached a pic of another thermometer that I just purchased. Are you thinking that I won't be able to read it through the humid plexiglass?

Yes. But more importantly since it's inside the chamber with all the humidity the mechanism will overtime get humid and that messes with the electronics in it. You definitely won't be able to read it when it's inside the hide. The one that I suggested is only about $12 you could get 2 or 3 of them, throw the probes in there and mount the mechanical part of it to the lid. Everytime you walk by you can check all three temperatures and be assured that your tortoise is perfectly happy and healthy.