Pyamiding explained

Newbabymama

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Could somebody explain where I can see if pyramiding is still happening. My little Sully was started dry and obviously shows signs of pyramiding. Thanks to @Tom It's in an enclosed enclosure with humidity 77-82%. I know the dark brown is where the shell is growing. Am I just looking for that dark line to be flat and smooth?

Attachments

• 20221018_184041.jpg
    20221018_184041.jpg
    823.4 KB · Views: 49

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could somebody explain where I can see if pyramiding is still happening. My little Sully was started dry and obviously shows signs of pyramiding. Thanks to @Tom It's in an enclosed enclosure with humidity 77-82%. I know the dark brown is where the shell is growing. Am I just looking for that dark line to be flat and smooth?
Pyramiding in one this size will be noticed in the notch between the scutes. The area should be flat between each scute, not dipped down.

Try to get humidity continuously above 80%

Newbabymama

Kansas
Pyramiding in one this size will be noticed in the notch between the scutes. The area should be flat between each scute, not dipped down.

Try to get humidity continuously above 80%
Ohhh... so the lines should be even with the scutes that are higher? I'll raise the humidity a bit. Can it be to humid?

Newbabymama

Kansas
Here's a couple pictures I've used in a pyramiding talk to explain what it looks like. One pyramiding and new growth smoothing out and one growing perfectly...

View attachment 350975View attachment 350976
Super helpful thanks! So will the new growth eventually start to even out if my Sully is kept in correct conditions. I know that old growth will never correct but trying to make sure the new growth does.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Super helpful thanks! So will the new growth eventually start to even out if my Sully is kept in correct conditions. I know that old growth will never correct but trying to make sure the new growth does.
Your tortoise is just a baby Really just barely starting to grow in the picture. Even though the first growth does show a sunken seam forming (started too dry), With proper conditions, you will not see any pyramiding from this early of a start. Your tortoise looks about 4 weeks old - quite early to sell, but perhaps good for you as it was being kept too dry. Hopefully it will take off and grow properly now with you.

Newbabymama

Kansas
Your tortoise is just a baby Really just barely starting to grow in the picture. Even though the first growth does show a sunken seam forming (started too dry), With proper conditions, you will not see any pyramiding from this early of a start. Your tortoise looks about 4 weeks old - quite early to sell, but perhaps good for you as it was being kept too dry. Hopefully it will take off and grow properly now with you.
Yes we were told by the pet store that they had them for a month and they were a month old when they got them. There is no way. Our sully still had an egg tooth. This picture is from the first day we brought it home on Sept 24. It was in a very small dry encloser with about 15 others.

Attachments

• Resized_20220924_151906.jpeg
    Resized_20220924_151906.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 32