Pumpkin for the Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Hello everyone and happy new year! I have a question how often can I feed my sulcata 100 % pure canned pumpkin he weights in at 174 grams. I was think of adding it in once or twice a week to his daily feeding. Is it good for them and how much could I give to him in one feeding.

Thanks for any help!

thelub

5 Year Member
Pumpkin is listed here http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm as a good source of nutrients. Be careful what canned pumpkin you feed it because some of it contains spices and other bits that aren't good for a tort. Also, cooking veggies tends to kill off some of the good nutrients. I'd be most worried that it contained spices and flavorings for pumpkin pie that probably wouldn't be good for a tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is all going to be opinion. There is no scientific studies on how much pumpkin should be fed to a tortoise. I wouldn't use more than a little once or twice a month for a baby. I feed whole pumpkins to my adult herd. About one a week during this time of year. It actually represents only a small portion of their diet since they eat so much grass, grass hay and weeds every day.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree with Tom - I wouldn't feed pumpkin that often. Mine get it when it's in season - maybe once every other week. Good luck! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use the canned pumpkin at all. If you're using pumpkin because you think it is a de-wormer, then you can stop, because it's not.

If you take pumpkin seeds, dry them then grind them up and sprinkle them over the tortoise's food, this will be a natural de-wormer. Not the pumpkin itself.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
I'm a new sulcata mom, so not an expert, but I did a lot of reading online at all sorts of sites before I found this forum (and stuck). From what I read, pumpkin has a little too much protein to be fed very often to very young sulcatas. It's different when they're older. Since my Puck is still small, she only gets about a teaspoon's worth every week or every couple of weeks. But try to find a can of pumpkin that small! So I bought a can (make sure pumpkin is the only ingredient on the label) and froze it in ice cube trays, just a teaspoon in the bottom of each one, then emptied them into a ziplock bag that I keep frozen. I have a year's worth from one can:D

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
EllieN said:
I'm a new sulcata mom, so not an expert, but I did a lot of reading online at all sorts of sites before I found this forum (and stuck). From what I read, pumpkin has a little too much protein to be fed very often to very young sulcatas. It's different when they're older. Since my Puck is still small, she only gets about a teaspoon's worth every week or every couple of weeks. But try to find a can of pumpkin that small! So I bought a can (make sure pumpkin is the only ingredient on the label) and froze it in ice cube trays, just a teaspoon in the bottom of each one, then emptied them into a ziplock bag that I keep frozen. I have a year's worth from one can:D

Great Idea and thats you for the input I will freeze the pumpkin like you are doing. I have a large can and will have a year supply also.

Thanks

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
After thinking about it I think it was the carbohydrate content, not protein, that makes it unsuitable to seed in large amounts....

Status
Not open for further replies.