Protection from the wind?

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Ok so I wasn’t quite sure where to put this question. I’ve been searching the forum and everything about wind is always more about protection from cold. But I’m in north Texas and most our bad wind storms are late spring and summer. So it’s nice and warm but the wind is anywhere from 25-60mph. I see trees downed all the time. So my question is what kind of measures can you take to protect your tortoises from strong winds? I shouldn’t have to worry about this myself for years, as when we get our little guy it will be covered when outside. But I’m just curious if anyone has run into this problem, maybe those in Arizona?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I know what wind mitigation means in Florida... I don't think it's that different in Texas. ?

If the tortoise is shut in its night box, it's a matter of the structural stability and integrity of the night box, vs. the wind and wind-borne debris.

If the tortoise is the burrowing type, if it's underground, it's out of the wind. You might have to remove some debris from the burrow entrance after a really bad storm. However, the underground option could entail significant risk in locations subject to flash flooding. I'd be more concerned about the water than the wind.

At ground level, keep in mind that the same perimeter barrier you use to keep a large, determined tortoise IN can also be designed to keep the worst of the winds and wind-borne debris OUT. Depending on the setup, the perimeter of the outdoor tortoise enclosure might provide added protection for the night box.

Aside from structural mitigation, a lot of wind mitigation involves landscaping and making smart planting choices, especially where trees and shrubs are concerned. The University of Florida did a big study on what trees were most resistant to hurricanes (i.e., what types of trees were still standing after the 2004-2005 hurricane season).

Your local county Cooperative Extension Service can help you with plant selection, landscaping with wind- and fire-related mitigation in mind, and various other aspects of disaster preparedness. They can also translate the Florida stuff for Texas. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Violanna

Texas
I know what wind mitigation means in Florida... I don't think it's that different in Texas. ?

If the tortoise is shut in its night box, it's a matter of the structural stability and integrity of the night box, vs. the wind and wind-borne debris.

If the tortoise is the burrowing type, if it's underground, it's out of the wind. You might have to remove some debris from the burrow entrance after a really bad storm. However, the underground option could entail significant risk in locations subject to flash flooding. I'd be more concerned about the water than the wind.

At ground level, keep in mind that the same perimeter barrier you use to keep a large, determined tortoise IN can also be designed to keep the worst of the winds and wind-borne debris OUT. Depending on the setup, the perimeter of the outdoor tortoise enclosure might provide added protection for the night box.

Aside from structural mitigation, a lot of wind mitigation involves landscaping and making smart planting choices, especially where trees and shrubs are concerned. The University of Florida did a big study on what trees were most resistant to hurricanes (i.e., what types of trees were still standing after the 2004-2005 hurricane season).

Your local county Cooperative Extension Service can help you with plant selection, landscaping with wind- and fire-related mitigation in mind, and various other aspects of disaster preparedness. They can also translate the Florida stuff for Texas. ;)
I live in a very well established area.. my backyard has about 15-20 trees over 100ft tall ? no changing that easily. But you comment definitely helped. So would you keep the tortoise locked up during the day as well and just keep them fed and watered?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I live in a very well established area.. my backyard has about 15-20 trees over 100ft tall ? no changing that easily. But you comment definitely helped. So would you keep the tortoise locked up during the day as well and just keep them fed and watered?
I'd look to get a good, competent arborist out there no later than February, before all those trees leaf out in the spring. The Cooperative Extension Service may have suggestions.

I defer to @Tom about the night boxes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so I wasn’t quite sure where to put this question. I’ve been searching the forum and everything about wind is always more about protection from cold. But I’m in north Texas and most our bad wind storms are late spring and summer. So it’s nice and warm but the wind is anywhere from 25-60mph. I see trees downed all the time. So my question is what kind of measures can you take to protect your tortoises from strong winds? I shouldn’t have to worry about this myself for years, as when we get our little guy it will be covered when outside. But I’m just curious if anyone has run into this problem, maybe those in Arizona?
I think everyone everywhere has high winds at least some of the time. We get 25-60 mph winds where I am several times a year. (I HATE those days, btw...) Tortoises being low to the ground, behind the low walls of their enclosures, and hopefully with lots of hiding areas to tuck into, including a night box, shouldn't have any trouble with wind. Temperature is a concern whether its windy or not. The aerodynamic shape of tortoises also makes the wind irrelevant.

All of my adult tortoises live outside full time. Whether its scotching hot and sunny, cold and rainy, super windy, or whatever else, they just have to deal with it. They always have their temperature controlled man-made shelters, and they also have the "natural" shelters provided by the plants, decorations and walls of her enclosures. I run misters and sprinklers on hot summer days, and I run basking bulbs for smaller species on cold overcast winter days. All year long I make adjustments to help them and keep them reasonably comfortable.

If the current wind storm is so bad that heavy branches are breaking and falling off of the trees, then yes, by all means, protect your tortoises so they don't get smashed. Outside of that, they should be fine in the wind.