Proper sulcata care needed

southoside760

Location (City and/or State)
IE Socal
I need help with care for my baby sulcata. 60wt black light with a uvb bulb. No light at night. Feedin spring mix with calcium. Orchad bark. This ok

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not really. I think you and your tortoise will benefit from reading (and making changes) our care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

That should get you started. There's more when you're finished with those.

I use the black light to keep the habitat warm at night. For day time I use a Mercury Vapor Bulb, which provides the necessary UVB with heat.

Spring mix is ok as part of a varied diet, but contains too much spinach to use it daily.

Orchid bark is a wonderful substrate, and my favorite substrate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please ask any question and post threads to get help. Kindly post pictures of your tort as well as his/her enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need help with care for my baby sulcata. 60wt black light with a uvb bulb. No light at night. Feedin spring mix with calcium. Orchad bark. This ok

Yvonne said it best. I think those threads will help you.

southoside760

IE Socal
Thanks for all the help I'll read those forums. I do pick out all the spinach in the spring mix I just wanna make sure the substrate and the food is not going to kill my tortoise or cause pyramiding. thanks

southoside760

IE Socal
Ok i read everything so i live in a suburban house in southern california. I have a lawn with grass. Can i feed my sulcata only grass from my yard with calcium supplements and it will grow healthy and happy? And if i mow my lawn can i feed it the grass clippings?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok i read everything so i live in a suburban house in southern california. I have a lawn with grass. Can i feed my sulcata only grass from my yard with calcium supplements and it will grow healthy and happy? And if i mow my lawn can i feed it the grass clippings?

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Not the food.

Grass from the yard and lawn clippings are fine as part of a varied diet, as long as the grass or clippings is not contaminated with any chemicals or pollutants. I use an electric mower on my yard. Babies need more than grass and adults will benefit from more than just grass too.

Did the care sheet explain the lighting and heating well enough?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Do you treat your lawn with pesticides or anything? I don't put anything on my lawn. If you don't, it's safe. You can use the grass clipping as food, again if it's not treated. Calcium supplements should only be fed maybe 2 times a week.

southoside760

IE Socal
I do not treat my lawn at all just water and fertilezer twice a year. So now i am confused i need a varied diet so can i just take it outside on my days off to graze and sun bathe the rest of the time feed a no spinach diet of romaine, red romaine, tango, oakleaf, chard, tatsoi, mizuna, arugula, lolla rosa

southoside760

IE Socal
Lighting is understood ill leave the heat lamp on it stays around 80-85 mostly sometimes higher. Uvb bulb is supplied im really waiting to keep Speedy outside

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lighting is understood ill leave the heat lamp on it stays around 80-85 mostly sometimes higher. Uvb bulb is supplied im really waiting to keep Speedy outside

I don't house them outside full time with a heated night box until they are 8-10 inches. This can take a year or two depending on many factors. You will need a large indoor enclosure until that time to use on days with colder weather. The best strategy is to have a large properly heated and lit indoor enclosure AND a large well designed outdoor enclosure. Let him be outside for an hour or two a day when he's a baby and soak him when its time to come inside. As he gains size, you can leave him out longer and longer. At 5-6" I leave them outside all day on warm days, but I still bring them in at night.

80-85 is not warm enough. They need a basking area closer to 95-100 directly under the bulb.

What type of UV bulb are you using?

southoside760

IE Socal
Ok i bought a higher wat light, better food, alfalfa and dandelion greens and zoo med grassland tortoise food. Bought more literature and i take him outside.

He gets a light misting in the moring has a shallow water bowl that gets deystroyed everyday so i assume he gets his h2o.

Posted a photo of him how does he look?