Meet Huck !!! Born May 1st 2016 !!!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
You said you are grinding up the Mazuri? Try it soaked.

itiswhatitis

You said you are grinding up the Mazuri? Try it soaked.
I misted some and put it in front of him and seems to be ok with it. I just wasn't sure because the lives are so big lol.

Put a nickel on the scale, it will weigh 5 grams
It's asking me to calibrate at 500grams lol. No other option but that. I'm taking jewelry store today. I called and they said they would do for me !!!

THEELEG

Houston, TX
I misted some and put it in front of him and seems to be ok with it. I just wasn't sure because the lives are so big lol.

It's asking me to calibrate at 500grams lol. No other option but that. I'm taking jewelry store today. I called and they said they would do for me !!!
Right on, just got on and started reading thought I would help

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

Mine likes the pellets all blown up with water. You soak them for a half hour, they quadruple in size and get real mushy.

Connie L

Glendale, Arizona
Mine likes the pellets all blown up with water. You soak them for a half hour, they quadruple in size and get real mushy.

Been doing that too. Crush won't eat them so I mush them into abit of fresh cut grass/weeds and a little argula and prickley pear and he devours it. Slowly using less greens has he has been grazing in the grass alot lately.

itiswhatitis

Toooooommmmmmmm
Briiiiiiiiiaaaaannnnn
Where are you

Joke lol
But seriously

Ok so I got my gun next day mail today !!! My gauges are blah meh !!!
They are reading actually cooler not hotter.

Temperature readings :

Humid hide spot - right now with gun temperature says 77 circle disk says 82.

Middle of enclosure - says gun says 80 Disk says 84

Bask spot - gun says 88 on the substrate disk says 100.

Back of Huck Shell - says 88 laying under the basking light ...

I'm Scratching my head lol !!!!
He seems to poop a lot so he's not having trouble digesting I assume.

So are the guns legit legit right usually ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I've found those IR point-n-shoot "guns" to be very accurate and a necessity! Really helps you get your tort's temps in the recommended ranges, no guessing.

itiswhatitis

Ugh ok so I was able to get in touch with breeder who actually breeder Huck not the seller. Best part is that win this breeder ships there tortoises they take a pic for security purposes so some one can say hey my tortoise died and it be another tortoise and try to get a false live guarantee. So I sent pics to the breeder and he was able track down exact date of June 27th. Not a guess but exact date out of shell. So that would put him around 50 days. So makes me feel a little better about weight. Now I'll start keeping up with same time of day every Friday to make sure he is growing.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Huck is a good looking little guy !
t2025.gif

Kaliman1962

So I have a question, during the day my tank stays in the 90s with 85%humidity, at night I sprat his hide box but have the top open for a CHE heat lamp, it keeps it upper 80's, but far end of tank goes down to 72, sometimes he sleeps there, other times he will go to his box, do I let him decide where he wants to be or should I move him to the hide box if he is sleeping at other end of tank?

itiswhatitis

So I have a question, during the day my tank stays in the 90s with 85%humidity, at night I sprat his hide box but have the top open for a CHE heat lamp, it keeps it upper 80's, but far end of tank goes down to 72, sometimes he sleeps there, other times he will go to his box, do I let him decide where he wants to be or should I move him to the hide box if he is sleeping at other end of tank?

From the way I understand it when humidity is high we should never let drop below 80. That where I got confused with the notes saying turn off all lights and heat at night. But rule of thumb is. Don't let get below 80. But that mainly if hatchling if I understand correctly. So basically need to figure it a way to make whole enclosure 80 not just one side. For me it was basically set my Che in middle enclosure and that worked. Other may need have Che each side enclosure or as simple as have the enclosure closed off more to trap the heat or your house temperature can be change and that will work. All will need be tinkered with until you figure out what is best.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Correct, if you let the temp drop below 80 anywhere in the enclosure, the tort is at risk to get sick because of the high humidity.

itiswhatitis

Remember when trying to work with one Che and have temp equal through enclosure don't let your mind fool you into lowering it to low to get the correct numbers. Because directly under to low could be HOT HOT HOT. This freaking temp gun was best thing I've purchased yet. Set my lights and Che where I want. wait 5 - 10 minutes then laser the substrate and different areas to get desired heights and watts and temps I need everywhere.

Not to mention if you have young child running around like I do. They love it and helps with learning. Son just learning his numbers and letters. I had him write out and draw picture of 10 things in house. He goes checks temps with gun and writes his numbers for the temp. Makes things fun in learning !!!!

itiswhatitis

Has anyone ever put there temp gun on the back of the tortoise shell while there basking ? While the temp in my enclosure runs from warm side 80-102 basking spot on substrate. When I put temp gun on his shell
While basking it runs 110. Is this ok ?

My temps in enclosure are where everyone agrees they should be. But on the actually shell much higher while basking.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've had my boxie for a very long time. Little over 16 years. A few years ago I was ask to babysit a Sulcata for a neighbor who had no idea even had a tortoise. He had family emergency and ask me to watch his Sulcata for few days because he had seen me outside with my boxie a lot.

From the second I laid eyes on his Sulcata I was hooked. I told myself once I had the room to have one I would. Once we moved I got my enclosure and everything up and running with the help and care sheets of the forum before I made my purchase.

Currently he is in a 40 breeder with cypress / coco mix. I have humid hide box with 3 thermometers and 3 hydrometers. Basking light zone set at 98. Middle of tank 90 hide zone area 80. Humidity ranges through the tank from 50-70. A small water dish on hotter end of the enclosure small water dish on other end. Sulcata seed mix growing in the 90 degree zone with a regular incandescent bulb I have a 24 inch t5 ho Uvb bulb as well. At night a have CHE bulb dead center of enclosure that keeps it out 75-80 through enclosure. I have black backside tank and placed Velcro on other 3 sides of tank so I can take off and out on black sides for his privacy/stress. I also have him outside 2x a day for no less than 30 minutes. Soaks directly after we come inside for 10 minutes. View attachment 183688View attachment 183689View attachment 183690

Currently I have my cabinet guy who does my saltwater tank stands and lighting over hangs working on wooden enclosure.

Feeding is mainly grass and weeds mixed with spring mix and mazuri grinded up on top.
A gorgeous little tort!

itiswhatitis

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471555745.523767.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471555769.047621.jpg

Huck Playing Outside !!!
It's just a baby pool with a shallow water hole where I planted Sulcata seed mix !!! I just took a knife and poked holes in bottom so when it rains it doesn't feel up with water.

Last edited:

itiswhatitis

Has anyone ever put there temp gun on the back of the tortoise shell while there basking ? While the temp in my enclosure runs from warm side 80-102 basking spot on substrate. When I put temp gun on his shell
While basking it runs 110. Is this ok ?

My temps in enclosure are where everyone agrees they should be. But on the actually shell much higher while basking.

I've searched for this answer through Google a lot and couldn't find anything. Could one one of the well known members like Yvonne or Brian ask it for me so I can get a response. :) lol

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I might move the bulb up a bit. I keep substrate under basking spot at 95-98.

BTW, Nadine was 105 grams yesterday.