Problem with my cherryhead tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyk0505

5 Year Member
I had cherryhead tortoise for about two month.

When I got the tortoise from online vendor, she came with mark on her

stomach. Since it was my first tortoise, I did not take it seriously.

The mark got slowly bigger and now I am worried about her.

She is active, and still eats alot

please help.

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 52

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like shell rot. You can use the search tool here on the forum, up at the top of the page, to search "shell rot" and find some previous posts on it.

It is gotten rid of using a very diluted betadine solution soft scrub once followed by application of athlete's foot cream (clotrimazole) for several days until it goes away.

I'm not sure of the severity of your tortoise's case of it, it looks as though at one part it's kind of an open wound/split in the plastron...might require a vet's consultation.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Agreed, shell rot. Very easily treated as described above. Treat initially with a betadine/water solution (should be a very weak tea color,) dry the area and then apply a thin layer of athlete's foot cream, and continue to keep the area clean and dry. Make sure to soak daily and spray the upper shell several times a day. I would keep the tortoise on clean, white paper towels until it is healed. You are also going to want to change your substrate and scrub the enclosure with bleach and water, and then let it dry thoroughly before putting your tort back in to remove all the fungal spores. This will greatly reduce the possibility of reinfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.