Prickly Pear and Enclosure size

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
I can’t find any locally at the nurseries , I want to grow it. I plan on using containers until we close on our 2.4 acre lot. It will be about 4 years before we build there. Now we live in subdivision with one of the largest lots and have a pool. When we move out to that new land do ya’ll think .4 acres is enough for a full grown Sulcata or do we need to go bigger? She is only 75 grams now, but we want to build her enclosure that will last and not have to keep making it bigger. Thinking about dividing and let one side grow tons of daily food while she is on the other side and then keep rotating as she eats down the weeds and plants. Thoughts? We are closing on the land in a few weeks and will start hauling a couple truck loads of dirt a month. The back 1 acre is swampy and tons of pecan trees. How do they do with leaves from a pecan tree? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Order the cactus pads online. When you get them, cut a little of the end off that was attached to the main plant, then plant in cactus soil or plain dirt. You can plant them without the cutting but I think they root faster if cut.
.4 is just under a half acre if I'm correct. That would be big enough for one. Go bigger if you can. Good idea to divide for growing food.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Order the cactus pads online. When you get them, cut a little of the end off that was attached to the main plant, then plant in cactus soil or plain dirt. You can plant them without the cutting but I think they root faster if cut.
.4 is just under a half acre if I'm correct. That would be big enough for one. Go bigger if you can. Good idea to divide for growing food.

As for being committed.., next pictures... we bought a tiller and started a Garden [emoji23]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
When I am letting her roam yard, she goes straight for rocks and will go over biggest one then face plant! Keeps going except to rest and nibble on weeds [emoji23]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I can’t find any locally at the nurseries , I want to grow it. I plan on using containers until we close on our 2.4 acre lot. It will be about 4 years before we build there. Now we live in subdivision with one of the largest lots and have a pool. When we move out to that new land do ya’ll think .4 acres is enough for a full grown Sulcata or do we need to go bigger? She is only 75 grams now, but we want to build her enclosure that will last and not have to keep making it bigger. Thinking about dividing and let one side grow tons of daily food while she is on the other side and then keep rotating as she eats down the weeds and plants. Thoughts? We are closing on the land in a few weeks and will start hauling a couple truck loads of dirt a month. The back 1 acre is swampy and tons of pecan trees. How do they do with leaves from a pecan tree? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Pecan tree leaves? They will
Fall everywhere, I’d hate to have to put netting over her space :(

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Pecan tree leaves? They will
Fall everywhere, I’d hate to have to put netting over her space :(

How good do they hear, she is now sleeping right next to the pool Rick speakers ;/ she went a couple yards to get there and had plenty space to get away from music.., maybe I got good music taste ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
50x50 is big enough for an adult, big bigger is better. Don't feel like it needs to be some huge area, but if you have the space and can enclose it properly then use it! My 4 adults share a space that is up to about 8000 sq. ft. now. That is less than a quarter acre and they have plenty of space to walk around and get away from each other.

See it here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/ I've made it bigger several times since this thread.

I don't know about the pecan leaves.

Great idea to make the separate pastures to grow the food.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Be careful by the pool. A fall could be very deadly quick. Great yard though!

We keep all eyes on her nonstop when she is running loose! I actually had a nightmare of her falling in pool and me jumping in save her! Ugh! So I am very cautious about the entire yard when she isn’t in the chicken coop setup lol

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
50x50 is big enough for an adult, big bigger is better. Don't feel like it needs to be some huge area, but if you have the space and can enclose it properly then use it! My 4 adults share a space that is up to about 8000 sq. ft. now. That is less than a quarter acre and they have plenty of space to walk around and get away from each other.

See it here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/ I've made it bigger several times since this thread.

I don't know about the pecan leaves.

Great idea to make the separate pastures to grow the food.

Thank you!

Amydillo

SE Texas

We have lots of land too. It’s always better to have as much space for them as possible. I just have 1 3 yr old female and she covers a lot of ground. We are in process as far as fencing goes, as well. While I’m outside working, “Shelly” roams the 4 acres around our house. This is how I keep up with her. IMG_0926.jpg

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
We have lots of land too. It’s always better to have as much space for them as possible. I just have 1 3 yr old female and she covers a lot of ground. We are in process as far as fencing goes, as well. While I’m outside working, “Shelly” roams the 4 acres around our house. This is how I keep up with her. View attachment 237297

LOL that is awesome!