Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I think I need to look into rehoming my desert tortoise bane as well as my 3 bearded dragons and 6 fire belly toads. Anyone near Yuma or Mesa in Arizona that is interested in them?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Finances are getting tight as I need to buy a new car and my stepdad is trying to force me out of the house so within a few months I may be needing to find a really small cheap studio apartment and I dont think I can find a place suitable for tortoises. Also the energy requirements and feeding costs of the beardies and toads would make it hard to make ends meet.
I really dont want to rehome them but I am trying to plan for the worst case scenario.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Wow. I'm sorry, that is rough. Is there a local herp society near you where you might find good homes for them?

kesh2l

5 Year Member
I have a question it has been 29 day since my three toed box turtle layer eggs and two of them had big dents in them. Since I have had them on the incubator they are. Getting smaller is this a good sign?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Wow. I'm sorry, that is rough. Is there a local herp society near you where you might find good homes for them?

Well there is the phoenix herpetological society but I am not too thrilled with them and would rather find them good homes with people I sorta know.

Also Bane I suspect has organ damage due to his previous care as no matter how often I bathe him his urates still comes out gritty. For him atleast I would prefer a very experienced tortoise keeper- someone that will provide better than I have for him.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Will rosemary and basil plants handle the heat and humidity of a closed chamber? My squash took off, the died quite suddenly in the chamber. I took my cantaloupe out the day the squash plant died to prefer it from dying too. Not sure what plants can handle the heat and humidity past a certain growth point.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Spider plants will grow. I had an aloe in mine until Little Ricky decided they looked at him funny, so he destroyed them.

And he are the spider plant.

*ate, not are

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kesh2l said:
I have a question it has been 29 day since my three toed box turtle layer eggs and two of them had big dents in them. Since I have had them on the incubator they are. Getting smaller is this a good sign?

No. As the baby inside the egg grows, the egg seems to get bigger. And about the dent. When you add water to the incubator, the dent usually pops out.

Thalatte said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

Well there is the phoenix herpetological society but I am not too thrilled with them and would rather find them good homes with people I sorta know.

Also Bane I suspect has organ damage due to his previous care as no matter how often I bathe him his urates still comes out gritty. For him atleast I would prefer a very experienced tortoise keeper- someone that will provide better than I have for him.

Post your dilemma on the "Anything Goes Arizona Thread" and see if there is a member near you who can help you.

kesh2l

5 Year Member
I'm sorry I wrote that wrong. The eggs them selfs are growing and as for the dents I have added water and they are still there but they are becoming less indented I moisten them every other day. I keep the incubator between 60 and 70% humidity. This is my first time I'm hoping I'm doing this right.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Speaking of closed chamber plants, anyone know of a good one that will grow up a trellis-type setup? Like morning glories or ivy type plants? I know lots of those are toxic, but if I could find a safe one that's easy to care for in a closed chamber environment, without taking over the whole chamber, I'd like to give one a shot when I build Littlefoot's permanent enclosure. Maybe I'm crazy. My thumb isn't very green. :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Pothos. Not sure how well a sweet potato plant would do in such a spot, but it's a maybe.

Or could the plant hang and grow down the trellis? Then you could add in other plant possibilities.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
So an update on Ozzie. I think be may in his old age be hard of hearing. That doesn't excuse him from running away from me outside but I notice he doesn't wake up when I call him or notice when I range the snack bag. We also think he has a haze over his eyes. He's 12 but is still a firecracker.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
A good trailing plant would be wandering jew. Rosie has aloe, dracaena, a bromeliad, a ti plant, spider plant, and then a bunch of fake plants. Her enclosure is usually 78-85 degrees and 70+ humidity and they've been in there for a year just fine.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kerryann said:
So an update on Ozzie. I think be may in his old age be hard of hearing. That doesn't excuse him from running away from me outside but I notice he doesn't wake up when I call him or notice when I range the snack bag. We also think he has a haze over his eyes. He's 12 but is still a firecracker.

It happens to the best of us. My oldest dog also has wonderful selective hearing along with being a bit hard of hearing. I started counting trying to figure out how old Balarney is, but then the number got too big and it sorta scared me so I stopped. Boy the time goes fast with the critters and kids ya love. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.