pre purchase assurance

Moore

hey guys,
I am in discussion with someone regarding the purchase of a so called 1.1 pair of Greeks. Info is vague, but the price is right. Even though the specimen being sold as "the" female looks to have some shell deformities. Please help me out here because they both look females to my inexperienced eye. Pictured first is "the" female, second is the supposed maleimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I'm not an expert but they both look female to me. Plus those shells look like they're in pretty rough shape and possibly have Metabolic Bone disorder are you planning on using them as breeders or pets?

Moore

yea I am questioning possible MBD in the larger of the two. The smaller one looks a bit better. I was planning to use them as breeders. That being said, I've adopted torts before with MBD and with proper care have proven to be some of my most rewarding pets. So imperfections don't necessarily make it a deal breaker for the right price, but if it's not 1.1 it doesn't make sense for me right now

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Are you aware that Greeks frequently do not live in harmony as pairs? The gender is irrelevant.

Mental and/or physical bullying is common. Keeping Greeks in groups of 3 or more in a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of sight barriers may work - but there are no guarantees. You should always plan for having to keep them entirely separately probably forever.

Bullying is more likely when there is a difference in size between individuals

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The second one might possibly be male, but just young yet.