Possible scale rot on Russian Tortoise, Please help!

Lily Matava

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Tx/ Fairbanks Ak
Hello! I recently adopted a Russian tortoise (Addy) and I recently noticed what looks like some kind of scale rot on her left front foot. I keep the substrate relatively dry and live in a very dry climate. She seems as active as she ever has been, despite her foot! In case it matters she is generally fed a spring mix and dandelions, with the occasional strawberry or banana slice as a treat. I was wondering what would be the best course of action. I've heard about a dilute iodine-povidone solution, would that be good to start out? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3kSEuQJnAqZM182ZVhtYUdURndYY0JFMElEM0dVOUM3S2R3 This should be a link to a picture! I'm having some trouble putting one up though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I couldn't see anything wrong with the tort in the pic. Please try to post a pic of the wound/rot. Sometimes they lose a leg scale, it gets caught or whatever. If that's what you think it is, clean it with the iodine, dab or rinse off and apply over the counter antibiotic cream

Lily Matava

Houston Tx/ Fairbanks Ak
I couldn't see anything wrong with the tort in the pic. Please try to post a pic of the wound/rot. Sometimes they lose a leg scale, it gets caught or whatever. If that's what you think it is, clean it with the iodine, dab or rinse off and apply over the counter antibiotic cream
If you look at the foot that's facing the camera, some of her scales are missing! It doesn't look too red or inflamed (maybe it's an old scar that I just haven't noticed), but I'll definitely treat it with iodine and antibiotic! I'll post at better picture shortly, she was being very uncooperative at the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see. Unless it's red or oozing, I really don't see anything to treat. If you want, just put a little antibiotic cream on it, but I really don't see where that is needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like an area that was bitten by another tortoise. This happens during male/female confrontations or other type of fighting. It will heal on its own, as Kasia has told you.