Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is Stevie. Porcupines are pretty stinky and dirty, so I usually give him a bath before we go to set.

First, you've got to get them to the sink:
1iby42.jpg

Next, you've got to keep them in the tub and give them the bath that they really don't want:
16b0d9j.jpg

Here we are on set. The commercial was for Brighthouse. I'm not sure what the premise was, but Stevie just had to hang out on the table and look spiky.
2d6krdf.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
*POKE* ....
GOT METAL GLOVES"?
TOO COOL .. Tom .. what a superb creature!
your a lucky man to work with such cool exotics!
JD~

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I want to know how did you suds him up?! Kidding...Stevie did an excellent job of looking spiky. I hope I get to see the ad someday!

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Thanks again Tom for the great pictures!!
Are your animals used for 'print Ads' like in magazines? And if they are do you have any of those to show us?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
Not Spikey?
Interesting.. at least its a job!

Spell check said "spikey" was wrong and "spiky" was right. I believed my computer. Is it wrong?

N2TORTS said:
*POKE* ....
GOT METAL GLOVES"?
TOO COOL .. Tom .. what a superb creature!
your a lucky man to work with such cool exotics!
JD~

I actually have a couple of pairs of heavy welding gloves that go almost to my elbows, but the quills will still penetrate them if you're not careful.

DonaTello said:
Are your animals used for 'print Ads' like in magazines? And if they are do you have any of those to show us?

Yes they do. I can only think of a few times when I've actually seen the work though. If you go into Target and see the pics of dogs and cats around the pet section, sometimes those are ours. Target has used many different photographers over the years and each photographer has their own preferred animal company. I'll look at the office computer on Monday and see what I can find.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Why the wheelbarrow...couldn't you just carry him?:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DonaTello said:

This was a Chevy ad, if I remember correctly:
2zzrorn.jpg

This was a shoot for Vogue. It was something to do with how ridiculous airport security was getting. I'm the "cop" with the dog and that's the best dog in the world right there, Bullet.
9atiza.jpg

vrx8hx.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She was European. Didn't care to talk much. The lady from the Chevy spot was very nice though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dreadyA said:
Wow awesome photos, tom. As always :]
Bullet looks like a sweet dog

Bullet is kind of like Patrick Swayzees character in "Roadhouse". He's nice... until its time to not be nice.
2agivb6.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Tom,how was it to get started in this? Just being in the right spot kind of thing??
Thanks for taking the time to post, I love it too.
Na

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You start at the bottom and work your way up. Its very easy to get into it, but very hard to pay your bills for the first couple of years. You start out as a volunteer or a keeper. If your lucky an occasional day of work will trickle down to you. Once you are on top its really nice.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Love the face on Stevie in the tub view. Me, I just want to see a live porcupine up close and you not only get to actually touch one, but bathe it too. I admit, I am green with envy.

I know when our puppies were in a TV commercial every time it came on, it was such a rush. Do you still feel that way or has it become just part of the job?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So no one has yet asked the question of why Stevie doesn't get annoyed and discharge some of his spikes in your direction?

Does he really like baths? Is that just a myth about porcupines? Maybe he just likes you? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.