PLUMERIA-LET'S TALK, SHOW YOUR BLOOMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
They are dioecious, with male and female flowers on separate plants.
You can use any flower from any plumeria for cross-pollination. Mother and father flowers do not differ in appearance except for color, which depends on the cultivar.
Here are some new "pin~wheel " flowers that just opened ........
NEWHIBPLU.jpg
plum2012OG.jpg

and the one from earlier posts going full force......
NEWHIBPLUM2.jpg

Now this is a Groovy " ORANGE" Hibiscus
NEWHIB.jpg

JD~:shy:
:p Plus I call all my plants " Gals" ....;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's true, they should be gals. Guys can be pretty, like eye candy pretty, but not as pretty as us gals:p:D.
Beautiful flowers. Hope I can keep mine going to get flowers. So far it is doing really good. BTW the hibiscus I accidentally chopped is already got some new growth on it, YA:D

cljohnson

5 Year Member
My first flower of the year (well almost).
Maybe when I get home from work.
Better yet I should stay home today to watch it bloom.

ff9a2058.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like you have a lot coming. I would stay home, it might need some tender loving care to open:p:D
Don't forget the pic of it opened:)

cljohnson

5 Year Member
It finally opened !!!!
eb06c6f5.jpg
[/IMG]
It's a monster flower over 4 inches.
5baf09d7.jpg
[/IMG]
I got this plant from a Plumeria show at Balboa Park about 6 years ago. I was told it's called a Valentine.
This is the first time it's bloomed after it suffered an unfortunate accident.
A couple years ago a tree limb fell on it during a storm. All the branches were stripped off of it.
I wintered the branches in my garage and potted them last spring.
Most of them are doing well. A couple of them will bloom this year.
dd506e41.jpg
[/IMG]
The problem is I don't know what to do with the main plant.
It's kind of pathetic looking now.
All that is left is a 5 foot tall stick with one tuft on top.
I don't know how to make it bush out again.
I was hoping it would regrow from where it was damaged. No such luck.
I don't know if cutting the top off and potting that would stimulate new growth from the trunk or kill it.

Any ideas?
0aabc922.jpg
[/IMG]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well the flower is beautiful, but your right the plant itself is, well, a little sad. I can help you with it, but I am sure someone can. Good luck and enjoy the flower.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cljohnson said:
It finally opened !!!!
eb06c6f5.jpg
[/IMG]
It's a monster flower over 4 inches.
5baf09d7.jpg
[/IMG]
I got this plant from a Plumeria show at Balboa Park about 6 years ago. I was told it's called a Valentine.
This is the first time it's bloomed after it suffered an unfortunate accident.
A couple years ago a tree limb fell on it during a storm. All the branches were stripped off of it.
I wintered the branches in my garage and potted them last spring.
Most of them are doing well. A couple of them will bloom this year.
dd506e41.jpg
[/IMG]
The problem is I don't know what to do with the main plant.
It's kind of pathetic looking now.
All that is left is a 5 foot tall stick with one tuft on top.
I don't know how to make it bush out again.
I was hoping it would regrow from where it was damaged. No such luck.
I don't know if cutting the top off and potting that would stimulate new growth from the trunk or kill it.

Any ideas?
0aabc922.jpg
[/IMG]

Chris ...nice looking flower, very simular to the Grainy Moragne
GrainyMoragne5.jpg
there are so many names and cultivators it's hard to keep up. You did great on your cuttings after the incident, as far as the mother plant ....there are a few options~ it looks to be good size
(tall) which can be nice for planting other items below it, especially when the plumie will go deciduous and look like a bare twig. ....So you can leave be and let it start branching on its own and after a few nice limbs , then you can prune to " bush up" . The second option ...if you look at your plant in the pics .. there are two main areas where there used to be cross sections with limbs. Those sections, in time will grow new limbs from that part of the plant. So you can whack the top half off and start a new cutting from that , leave the main stalk in the ground ( a fun time to graft another color on it .... imagine a plumie tree with 2 different flowers<slygrin>) ...., and as mentioned with time your new sections will sprout , thus creating a new low compact plant profile.....
Hope this helps .,...

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the advise.
The "cuttings" are doing great. The one on the left looks like it will double from the site of the bloom. The tall one is going to triple.
As far as the mother plant it looks to at least double at the bloom site.
My Little Valentin may not be as shapely as she was but now I have five.
Gonna have to call this one "glass half full".
I guess I will just enjoy my blooms this year and decide what to do with the mother plant next spring or the spring after.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
A great collection of wonderful flowers !!!
Thanks to share =)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
MIss Well' .... very nice Hibby'....Do you know the name of the color? Couple weeks back I just couldnt pass up a super groovy orange one myself.
Home from work " yea it's Friday" .......came home to this ...:shy:

plumie12.jpg
plumie12a.jpg

a little triva ... do you know what this is ? :rolleyes:
plumieiris.jpg

Keep on Tort~N.... all with a green thumb ~ ...:p

JD~

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so jealous. I would never want to leave your place. What is the last flower. It is very cool and pretty. I have never seen a flower like that. Is it a type or orchid?
Thanks again for sharing your beautiful flowers with us. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I am so jealous. I would never want to leave your place. What is the last flower. It is very cool and pretty. I have never seen a flower like that. Is it a type or orchid?
Thanks again for sharing your beautiful flowers with us. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

I dont leave much :p....and all this comes with alot of work, but a fun hobby indeed . The last picture is a "White Iris " ....growing next to the bamboo~ ( one of my other collections) ...
JD~:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, I have a concern. My plumeria seems to be doing great. New leafs, and the older leafs still look great. However, my concern is the trunk is a little soft, has a give to it, not hard like a normal tree trunk, and a little squishy also not as green. Has kinda a grey or white hue to it. Is this normal or is it missing something?

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
Zds2V.jpg

N7FZQ.jpg

A Plumeria I bought for my mother about 10-11 years ago finally bloomed a couple winters ago. I dont know its type but i was SO excited when it finally bloomed!!! Its pretty tall now, Id like a cutting for myself to grow!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I saw these on the way to the beach. So pretty!

IMAG0732.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to fix it.
hsq6x5.jpg

6gezoz.jpg

Thanks

Barb.... I dont really see anything wrong with it ....other than a nibbled leaf? the new growth looks fine as well as the older bottom leaves......remember it's not too long before they will loose all the leaf and flower .......Although ....I had plumies blooming last year at Christmas time......we have and have had exceptionally long summers here. Can stay well into the high 70's `80s at X mas!....Ho Ho HO .....:p
Here is one blooming out back now ......
dy8.jpg
dy2.jpg

and a few more past and present.......( they necessarily dont bloom every year)..
OO1.jpg
val2.jpg
BRDwy--.jpg
14.jpg
10--.jpg
30.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for looking. Thanks for calming my nerves. I was thinking, I wasn't even going to get it to live part of a year LOL I don't have much a of a green thumb. Probably because i like and want to grow the tropicals. I don't like most of the ones that we are suppose to grow here:D Other then those few eaten? Bad? Spots, it does seem to be doing really good.
Yours of course, well I am green with envy:p :)

Status
Not open for further replies.