Pls I.D. sex of 'Craigslist' tort (Long story warning!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest
Ok, so here's what happened...

If you recall, I recently posted about a Craigslist tortoise in my area which was only being fed iceberg lettuce & which I mistakenly thought was a Russian...

Members here informed me that this tortoise is actually a Greek (Jordanian?) and, because it would need its own pen (& unique habitat), I at first thought that I couldn't absorb & provide a whole 'other' type of set-up. However,... in reading up on the care of Greeks, I was surprised at how similar their care/diet is to Russians (of which I have two); also, I realized I actually should be able to adjust for the few differences between the two species. Mostly, I had forgotten about leftover supplies from building last summer's outdoor tort enclosure which, when I thought it through, could be used to partitian off a sizable area in the current pen; giving him/her their own pen. So, believing I can make this work afterall, I foolishly thought the 'hard part' was behind me, but...

After contacting the seller, who accepted half the cost of what was being asked because she "just wanted to get rid of it", we set up a meeting. Then as I was on my way driving to see her she canceled because of a class she had forgotten about. So, we set up another-- for which she was a 'no-show' and I left (later was told the reason was her phone battery died and she couldn't make it). Obviously frustrated and mad, I was pretty much done... but next day, I thought about the little tortoise and as it wasn't his fault, I decided to call one last time. She apologized and confirmed that she still wanted to do this. I eventually met up w/ her on 3rd try when she took the little guy to her nanny job for the kids to play with (!)-- Needless to say, I have him now.

FYI: SCL= 7 to 7.25", He/she? was active and moving about when I first got him. He has some silver nail polish painted on shell. As soon as I offered food, he ate immediately (spring mix and little bit of butternut squash) and passed white urates shortly after that. So, I was relieved that he seemed active and had his appetite.

I appreciate if someone can confirm for me the sex and approx. age of this little one from the following pics (hopefully these are better than the ones from the craigslist post). Any other observations are welcome~ Thanks a million!

New.jpg
New3.jpg
New1.jpg
New5.jpg
New4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You'll greatly increase the chances of survival if you treat the tortoise for protozoa and worms regardless of any tests.

This 'Greek' also does not do well at low temperatures and should be kept quite warm. It does not hibernate... otherwise treat it like any other testudo.

jdawn said:
Ok, so here's what happened...

If you recall, I recently posted about a Craigslist tortoise in my area which was only being fed iceberg lettuce & which I mistakenly thought was a Russian...

Members here informed me that this tortoise is actually a Greek (Jordanian?) and, because it would need its own pen (& unique habitat), I at first thought that I couldn't absorb & provide a whole 'other' type of set-up. However,... in reading up on the care of Greeks, I was surprised at how similar their care/diet is to Russians (of which I have two); also, I realized I actually should be able to adjust for the few differences between the two species. Mostly, I had forgotten about leftover supplies from building last summer's outdoor tort enclosure which, when I thought it through, could be used to partitian off a sizable area in the current pen; giving him/her their own pen. So, believing I can make this work afterall, I foolishly thought the 'hard part' was behind me, but...

After contacting the seller, who accepted half the cost of what was being asked because she "just wanted to get rid of it", we set up a meeting. Then as I was on my way driving to see her she canceled because of a class she had forgotten about. So, we set up another-- for which she was a 'no-show' and I left (later was told the reason was her phone battery died and she couldn't make it). Obviously frustrated and mad, I was pretty much done... but next day, I thought about the little tortoise and as it wasn't his fault, I decided to call one last time. She apologized and confirmed that she still wanted to do this. I eventually met up w/ her on 3rd try when she took the little guy to her nanny job for the kids to play with (!)-- Needless to say, I have him now.

FYI: SCL= 7 to 7.25", He/she? was active and moving about when I first got him. He has some silver nail polish painted on shell. As soon as I offered food, he ate immediately (spring mix and little bit of butternut squash) and passed white urates shortly after that. So, I was relieved that he seemed active and had his appetite.

I appreciate if someone can confirm for me the sex and approx. age of this little one from the following pics (hopefully these are better than the ones from the craigslist post). Any other observations are welcome~ Thanks a million!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's a male and looks to be T.g.antakyensis to me. Age is probably between 8 and 12 years. He's definately an adult. :)

Danny

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He's beautiful! I'm so glad you were able to get him and am also glad to hear he's doing well. I know you'll provide a lovely home for him. :)

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Many, many thanks EJ, Dan & Kimberlee~ all of your responses help me to better help him~ Happy Sunday!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
AAaawww, Jdawn, that's not a long story, that's a good story! With a happy ending! ;)

His shell actually looks pretty good. I wonder if the previous owner had him since he was a hatchling, or if someone else raised him properly and then had to give him away to the previous owner?

In any case, you've got a handsome new tortoise to love. Congratulations! :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He looks wild caught to me Stephanie.

Danny

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Thanks Stephanie and Dan,
When I picked him up I found out that the lady I got him from had only had him for 4 months (not 2 years as I had understood from early conversations w/ her). It turns out that the people she got him from, as a 'gift', had kept him for two years. So the iceberg lettuce diet may not have been for very long...

Also, when I was putting him and his modest belongings in the car, this lady told me they had figured he was about 32 yrs. old because that was the # of 'boxes' (I believe she meant his scutes) that were on his shell, which she said indicated his age. Thank you Dan getting him out of his 30's :)

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
re: name:
I was looking up 'Greek' names, but wasn't sold on to many different ideas that I saw (I was really hoping he was a SHE so I could name her 'Zena', but that is out now)... 'Zeus' didn't grab me-- so, when hubby suggested "Starbuck" or "Boomer" starship characters on Battlestar Galactica--I had to laugh because the newcomer has passed gas pretty loudly a few times since arriving--so "Boomer" seems to maybe be appropriate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.