Please meet 'Chives'!

Cuttysark

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and lost already! I'm hoping that someone will be able to identify Chives, our newly acquired tortoise. I was told that he is a Mediterranean?20150128_195552.jpg 20150128_195611.jpg 20150121_185909.jpg 20150128_195552.jpg 20150128_195611.jpg 20150121_185909.jpg Many thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
A nice little Russian you have there. Did you just get him? He looks like perhaps a few soaks are in his near future. Are you by any chance feeding him on something hard like an unglazed terra cotta saucer, rock, or slate? Some nice fibrous weeds?

Cuttysark

Thank you for the welcome every one, and also for the identification! Jacqui, I have been soaking him and he eats lots of greens from a plastic dish. May I ask why you mention these things as I have a lot to learn and want Chives to be happy!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Thank you for the welcome every one, and also for the identification! Jacqui, I have been soaking him and he eats lots of greens from a plastic dish. May I ask why you mention these things as I have a lot to learn and want Chives to be happy!
replace the plastic dish with a flat rock so his break can naturally wear down.

Cuttysark

I've replaced Chives plastic dish with a piece of slate, can anyone tell me which garden herbs (if any) are suitable food stuffs, as I'm a keen gardener and have lots - mint, oregano, sage, chives, parsley, salad burnett, rosemary, sweet cicely, basil and bay.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome, adorable Russian tort. As for the herbs, I think I replied to a separate thread you made already: I know there are safe ones, i'll wait for an expert to pop in on that, but most tortoises wont touch them due to the strong flavor

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can grow them in his habitat but he won't eat them. You'll have to start growing weeds for him, particularly dandelion and plantain. He'd love violets, both flowers and leaves, cranesbill/geranium, rose of Sharon and roses, hollyhocks, mallows & grape leaves. No chemicals, fertilize with compost.