Please identify box

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
DSCN0383.JPG DSCN0379.JPG I rescued this female ornate box.Does anyone know if she is an ornate or ornate luteola? I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The ornata has fewer, but thicker stripes. So this would be an ornata. Her back feet look deformed???

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Love the stripes & nice eyes

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is nice indeed. I love the color also! ! ! !

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
The ornata has fewer, but thicker stripes. So this would be an ornata. Her back feet look deformed???
You are right, they do in the picture.She,including her legs are very thin. She had been in a pet shop for at least a month, that I know of, with both eyes closed. Last month, I told him what need to be done.He said she would not eat, and of course, I told him, until her eyes were open, she can't even see to eat. I told him what needed to be done for her, and he said he would. When I went back there the other day, she was worse, and nothing had been done for her. I told him, I would take her home and try to save her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Until she starts eating, you can try the baby food soaks. Any of the orange baby foods, but carrots has the highest vitamin A content, that's why I use that one. Mix it half and half with warm water and leave the turtle in there for at least a half hour.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Until she starts eating, you can try the baby food soaks. Any of the orange baby foods, but carrots has the highest vitamin A content, that's why I use that one. Mix it half and half with warm water and leave the turtle in there for at least a half hour.
Thanks for the idea.I have been giving her some turtle vits high in A.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
She finally ate a piece of apple today. I thought I would share the great news.
Good on ya for rescuing her and giving shop owner some what for. I see things like that regular in uk reptile shops, its even worse in a general pet shop they think they know how to look after reptiles. It does my head in, most reptiles require different care to most others.
The other day I saw a raccoon in a cage in a pet shop. Anyway, good luck, What you named her.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
You might send a message to Terry O.- she's a great source of box turtle info. I think I read on here somewhere that boxies who won't eat anything else will often eat bread. But I'm not sure. If they do, then it would be easy to mix other stuff with the bread.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I don't know if this will work or not but I have 3 ornates that I've had for 7 years. A couple of years ago one was sick and not eating for a few weeks. I gave her some cream corn and that got her back on track. I don't feed them that but I was desperate. During the summer I feed them corn on the cob and I knew it was her favorite meal.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Thanks, since my last post, she ate a nightcrawler. After what she has been through, I am getting kinda attached to her. At this point, I am not sure wheather or not I will be keeping her.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I don't know if this will work or not but I have 3 ornates that I've had for 7 years. A couple of years ago one was sick and not eating for a few weeks. I gave her some cream corn and that got her back on track. I don't feed them that but I was desperate. During the summer I feed them corn on the cob and I knew it was her favorite meal.
Thanks, I will try that also.