Please help if you can (lump on throat)

Ron Cobb

Location (City and/or State)
Yucca Valley Ca
Good morning !

Apple Valley, go through there quite often on our way to the races. So..............................bathe in a coantiner out of the pen, do it in his new swimming pool ? If you read this entire thread, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so be careful, I will pummel you with questions if you raise your hand in my classroom ;).

I'm all ears and thank you for the participation. Oh by the way, I have no idea where they hit the Speedster with the injections to be able to keep an eye on it. I'm guessing just keep an eye on the cranky dudes whole body.

Ron

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Good evening:

Long day. Yes Speedy is the "guy" I had been calling "Sir" all these years, not a female as one of my new friends had said he was. Secondly, he's just fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time I got home, made him a complete new indoor living quarters (see attached picture), made a small something to eat, I laid down and just woke up). Guessing I was tired ?

Took him to my local vet as mentioned and played quiz with Dr. Smith. Everything that I was told at the pro down below was what she had come up with. Original preliminary" thought was goiter but after all the tests and full COMPLETE physical, it wasn't even that bad !
Seems after all, I had done better at taking care of him, just as some had said, a total bad food regiment . Anyway he is on his way to a healthy recovery. I did get schooled on a lot. I had been doing things backwards on many topics. I was heating his pen at night and the light off during the day whereas bot vets said, no, no. You keep the light on during they day and let him enjoy some coolness at night, just like a humans daily life goes. Sooooooooooooooooo much more I was taught, I listened, took notes like a law school pupil and brought him home. NOW if that is incorrect info, please let me know, that is why I brought it up.

Oh geez, I almost forgot (see my mind does wander a bit o_O). He merely had lack of the proper vitamins from the wrong food (and how many of you had mentioned that ? all of you). So we got a vitamin A & D injection, a vitamin B complex injection, a beak trim, nails done, pat on the shell, kisses good bye by bother doctors and a new nick name "The 6 million dollar turtle" :D.

Should finish up his outside pen this weekend but you all were not only extremely helpful, once again, you were right. So I cleaned all the old bedding out, bought him some more shelters to crawl in, he now has his personal bath/swimming pool and lastly......................................should I get him a partner ? Do they like companionship ? Should I first go to school on the proper care of a "Tort" ????????????? :):):):):)

And the coffee table pen he has is much bigger than the picture reflects, it's an 60 gallon fish aquarium. I still can't get him to poke his head out or I would send a picture of him. But at least the swelling is down enough so the little brat can at least pull his head in !

Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

No friends! He doesn't need them, your tortoise is a lone wolf! Unless you were going to get several, groups are okay but not a twosome - there's an abundance of threads on why pairs are not a good idea (search bullying).

Glad Speedy is doing good! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Good morning from California. Okey dokey, will not pursue a "buddy". I'll check what you have pointed out and obviously learn from that also.

Muchos,

Ron

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Speedy died ! That may be the reason I couldn't get him to poke his head out for a picture to send to you all.

Ron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
WHAT???????? Oh my lord! You take that tortoise right back to the vet who treated him - immediately! It was their treatment that killed the tortoise. He was getting along just fine with his lumpy neck until they gave him injections. They need to know that what they did killed the tortoise.

Oh, Ron...I'm so very sorry this happened. What a heart-breaking thing.

But don't waste any time in getting him back to the vet. The more time you take, the better chance they have to say it was you and not their treatment that killed the tortoise.

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
I'm numb Yvonne and I will let the vet know but to take him down there, I see no reason unless they want to do an autopsy. I will let them know that he smells of the ugly stench of vitamins and hope they learn from this.

Attachments

• Speedster gone.jpg
    Speedster gone.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 34

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
That's to bad.
Another example of why I don't trust/like vets. I spent 40 years working with them. I have a million stories. (Retired Zookeeper) They have a even harder time dealing with reptiles than other exotics.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Kim444

5 Year Member
That's just terrible. I would go back immediately like Yvonne said. Was his head in his shell when you picked him up form the vet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the head is actually stuck inside there. Oh man. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. This is just terrible.

Kim444

5 Year Member
That's why I asked Yvonne, I have a feeling the vet gave him back a dead tort. He does look stuck, ugh.

Ron Cobb

Yucca Valley Ca
Hi:

I just got a voice mail from the vet, it sickens me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was out and about and moving just fine yesterday afternoon, was checking out his new turf. The vet said, I'm so sorry but when they have the lack of Vitamins Speedy had, they can be "Compromised". Bull sh... His swelling was half of what the pictures show when I picked him up, he popped his head in and out just fine or I wouldn't have brought him home. I'm not going to guess since I am having a difficult time trying to keep my sense of humor, and yes people, I am a true lovable guy that would go to the end of the earth for anyone or any being, but I also have a very bad side to me also.

Again, bless, bless you all ! This is yet another learning experience I must keep in mind. Life goes on and may you all have a blessed one !

Ron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, Ron...you had 15 good years with Speedy. I see another tortoise in your future - down the road a piece. So, don't desert us. We're here for you and we're waiting to see the pictures of your new tortoise when the time comes. After 15 years, its not going to be easy getting used to life without a tortoise. I could never do it. So put all this bad stuff behind you, retain all the good stuff - the happy memories, and the good info you got from your new friends here. We'll be here...waiting to see your new tortoise.

The vet may not have done anything wrong, however, I don't like his attitude, and if it were me, I'd never go back to him.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
What! I am absolutely gutted for you Ron. I'm so sorry. Poor tortoise. Are you okay? I can't believe it, everything sounded so positive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Could this be another case of vitamin injections causing death? It seems that feeding or soaking the vitamins may be a much safer way to improve a tortoise's health.

It might be worthwhile to take a poll of how many torts have had vitamin injections and if the results have been worthwhile or just too risky to use.

My condolences to Ron.