Lump on Sully Throat

Rmgoulet1941

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto
Hi all!

My 11 year old, 60(ish) lb sulcata has been healthy his whole life! I have had him since he was one year old. Aside from me worrying about his water intake, he's always been a pretty easy dude to care for. Relatively so for a sully, LOL.

Needless to say, I was alarmed when I noticed a decent sized lump on the right side of his throat/neck. It doesn't seem to affect his eating at all, and although it was difficult to see, I didn't notice a visible injury to the area. This part of his skin does rub against his shell when he retracts his head (always has). But it has never caused an issue.

He has a consistent diet of grasses and weeds. He has a heated nightbox that stays at 75-80, as well as a heat pad for really cold nights. Not sure what is going on! His night box does get dirty because he poops in it so much but I keep a light layer of eco-earth to soak it up so I can clean it easily & regularly. I called the vet and left a message as it is Sunday and plan to have him seen ASAP. I would just like some advice or insight so I can have a little peace of mind.

I attached two photos. Please excuse his dirty face. It gets like that a lot in the winter with the wet foliage. Thanks in advance for your input :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-092729_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-092729_Photos.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220306-092723_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-092723_Photos.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wonder if it's goiter. Feeding too many of the plants from the brassica family as a staple causes goiter.

cabbage
Sprouts
Cauliflower
KALE
mustard kohlrabi
BROCCOLI
bok choy
turnip
COLLARD
etc.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
I wonder if it's goiter. Feeding too many of the plants from the brassica family as a staple causes goiter.

cabbage
Sprouts
Cauliflower
KALE
mustard kohlrabi
BROCCOLI
bok choy
turnip
COLLARD
etc.
This winter his diet has consisted heavily of...

Orchard hay
Chickweed
Miner's lettuce
Low Mallow

He usually only gets kale or grocery greens if I am in dire need during summer months. I've tried to remove all oxalis from the yard.

If it is goiter, would the lump be soft to the touch? And how do I treat it while awaiting the vet visit? Thanks so much!

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
Update: The vet booked him an appointment for Friday the 18th. It was the earliest available. They don't seem concerned in waiting the eleven days but I am nervous! Should I take him to emergency vet or am I overreacting? Again, he seems fine and is behaving/eating/breathing normally.

@Tom @Yvonne G

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's eating and 'marching' it's fine to wait for the Friday appointment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Do you have experience with this type of issue?
I do not. Never had that on any of mine.

The diet sounds great.

I'd keep the night box warmer. 86 in winter with our random cold spells. 80 through most of spring and fall, and 75 is fine for the hot summers in your area.

Just be careful with any vet. Most of them know nothing about tortoise care and want to inject them with potentially harmful things that they don't need. No "vitamin" shots and your tortoise does NOT need a calcium injection. If the vet recommends antibiotics to treat the lump, don't let them do injectable Baytril as it is caustic and causes a chemical burn at the injection site.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
OK thanks for the tips! I will jack up the thermostat a bit. And I also feel prepared heading into the vet appointment, so I appreciate it. I am taking him to a vet listed in the forum, so hope it all goes well. Will report back.

Thanks again.