Please advise on shell repair

TortyLuv

Location (City and/or State)
Jupiter, Florida
Hey everyone,

We adopted a couple of fairly large Sulcatas the other day. One of them has a good size divot in the shell. Looks to be an older healed injury. What would you guys do to address it? Best pic I have right now....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231010_223046_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010_223046_Gallery.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 10

TortyLuv

Jupiter, Florida
Thanks guys. Forgive the ignorance here. I've taken care of Sulcatas but no injuries.

- What are signs of secondary issues?
- Will that hole regenerate or always be a hole?
- Should I simply brush fungus off as it appears and try to keep the hole dry?
- Should I (when) be applying Scarlett oil?
- Put me on the right path and I'll make sure it gets done.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You've got them in separate enclosures, right?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No. 2 males. Was told they were raised together and never been a problem.
Now is the time to make each one a lot safer and more contented, by separating them. Hope you have enough space to do it!

TortyLuv

Jupiter, Florida
Now is the time to make each one a lot safer and more contented, by separating them. Hope you have enough space to do it!
2.5 acres. Currently they're in a 32ftx32ft pen. Was going to double its size this weekend, then expand over time ($$$). Could it be possible splitting 2 tortoises that have been together many years could have an adverse impact on them?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
2.5 acres. Currently they're in a 32ftx32ft pen. Was going to double its size this weekend, then expand over time ($$$). Could it be possible splitting 2 tortoises that have been together many years could have an adverse impact on them?
It might take them a little while to get used to the change, but tortoises, especially sulcatas, are solitary and highly territorial. Even if they have not outright injured each other yet, being together has likely been very stressful and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Definitely best to split them up, because they can, and eventually most likely will, kill each other if kept together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should never have been together as a pair. Groups of juveniles can usually work, but not pairs. They need to be separated ASAP. Here is a way to make a single night box for both:

32x32 is pretty small for large sulcatas. Go bigger if you can, but be sure to use something opaque. If they can see through the fencing, they are likely to damage their legs and snout rubbing on it.

Thanks guys. Forgive the ignorance here. I've taken care of Sulcatas but no injuries.

- Should I simply brush fungus off as it appears and try to keep the hole dry?
Pus, blood, infection, smell, maggots, etc...
No way to know. It may heal over time and become less noticeable.
- Should I simply brush funguses off as it appears and try to keep the hole dry?
Fungus? Does the area grow fungus? If yes, it needs treatment.
Don't know what scarlet oil is. If its fungus, then athlete's foot cream is best to treat it. If it is bacterial, then Vetricyn will be best.
If its not growing fungus or bacteria, I'd leave it alone.