Tort shell

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Please excuse all my newbie questions LOL. I just wanted to post a pic of the underneath of my tortoises shell. Just wanted to know if it looks normal or not. He has a couple pink lines I believe it's just new growth and also a couple dark lines which I believe just to be staining. Also is it okay to use a toothbrush too lightly scrub his shell every day after his soaking or is that something I should do every couple days I don't want to scrub him too much.20171030_112623.jpg20171030_112619.jpg20171030_112615.jpg

AmberD

Ontario
Looks normal to me! And happy birthday :)
As for the toothbrush scrubs, I believe it's ok. I'm not sure how often is too often though. Hopefully someone will answer that for you!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Looks normal to me! And happy birthday :)
As for the toothbrush scrubs, I believe it's ok. I'm not sure how often is too often though. Hopefully someone will answer that for you!
Thanks for your quick response, I am a worry wort[emoji3]

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Jay Bagley . :)

You tort looks great. GOD bless. Nothing to worry about.

Any pics of his enclosure? Please give him daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

And......HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D

Jay Bagley

Michigan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Jay Bagley . :)

You tort looks great. GOD bless. Nothing to worry about.

Any pics of his enclosure? Please give him daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration.

And......HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D

Hello, thankyou for the welcome. I just got him back from xwife after two yrs, I missed him alot!! I have open tortoise table. After reading many post I now know that it should have been closed for the humidity. He came back to me after 2 years with some mild pyramiding I know he did not have the best diet there I believe he was only getting spring mix. I now feed him mazuri, mixed greens, cactus, and of course lots of fresh grass and weeds. I have fir bark in his enclosure I tried the Cypress but for whatever reason he like to try to eat it and I did not want him to get an impaction. I do soak him everyday for 15 to 20 minutes and I spray him and his enclosure down three to four times a day. And he does have a fresh water dish everyday.20171029_200927.jpg20171029_200842.jpg

AmberD

Ontario
It sounds like you are well on your way to providing better care for your tort. I would suggest as in your other post to somehow cover the top of your enclosure to keep a higher humidity. The pyramiding should be less noticeable over time if you do that. Good luck with him - he's a cutie!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
It sounds like you are well on your way to providing better care for your tort. I would suggest as in your other post to somehow cover the top of your enclosure to keep a higher humidity. The pyramiding should be less noticeable over time if you do that. Good luck with him - he's a cutie!

Thank you Amber, I'm definitely going to look into covering the top this coming weekend to get the humidity up.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello, thankyou for the welcome. I just got him back from xwife after two yrs, I missed him alot!! I have open tortoise table. After reading many post I now know that it should have been closed for the humidity. He came back to me after 2 years with some mild pyramiding I know he did not have the best diet there I believe he was only getting spring mix. I now feed him mazuri, mixed greens, cactus, and of course lots of fresh grass and weeds. I have fir bark in his enclosure I tried the Cypress but for whatever reason he like to try to eat it and I did not want him to get an impaction. I do soak him everyday for 15 to 20 minutes and I spray him and his enclosure down three to four times a day. And he does have a fresh water dish everyday.View attachment 221636View attachment 221637
You're doing very well! Keep up the good work.

By the way your tort is simply adorable. GOD bless.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
You're doing very well! Keep up the good work.

By the way your tort is simply adorable. GOD bless.
Thankyou so for taking time to comment on my post. I am definitely trying, but I have lots to learn. This site and its members are incredible. Thank you and God bless you too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thankyou so for taking time to comment on my post. I am definitely trying, but I have lots to learn. This site and its members are incredible. Thank you and God bless you too.
You are most welcome. We are all here to help one another. Therefore, do not hesitate to ask any question when in need of help of in doubt.