Playing?

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
So I have recently noticed a behaviour in Benny that I wonder about. I try to keep his tank stimulating, a couple hides. Some draped plants that brush his shell when he walks through them, different substrates, some creating hills etc. I have a section with sea shells and blue marbles that was originally just decoration in a section he never showed interest in.
As of the last two weeks he's been going to this area and repeatedly pulling a large shell out of the pile and dragging it around his tank, gnawing on it and then when he's done he goes and pushes some marbles out of the bowl and pushes them about the area with his snout. He sometimes pushes these into the closest hide and lays on them.
Is this play? Boredom? Dangerous? He's not large enough to swallow the marbles, so they aren't a choking hazard right now.
I grab a couple shots of yesterday's mess lolImageUploadedByTortForum1393685465.495025.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393685480.344878.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393685492.796268.jpg

Sh3wulf said:
So I have recently noticed a behaviour in Benny that I wonder about. I try to keep his tank stimulating, a couple hides. Some draped plants that brush his shell when he walks through them, different substrates, some creating hills etc. I have a section with sea shells and blue marbles that was originally just decoration in a section he never showed interest in.
As of the last two weeks he's been going to this area and repeatedly pulling a large shell out of the pile and dragging it around his tank, gnawing on it and then when he's done he goes and pushes some marbles out of the bowl and pushes them about the area with his snout. He sometimes pushes these into the closest hide and lays on them.
Is this play? Boredom? Dangerous? He's not large enough to swallow the marbles, so they aren't a choking hazard right now.
I grab a couple shots of yesterday's mess lol

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393685798.894886.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The shell gnawing and dragging could be explained by a perceived need for calcium, or beak maintenance. Just a guess.

No idea on the marbles. Maybe the tortoise wants to lay on something to stay off the substrate?

I've not seen this sort of behavior before outside of manouria dragging stuff around to make a nest.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I purchased a cuttlebone for him yesterday wondering if it was the same thing, need for calcium. He has no interest in it, but got up this morning and went after the shell first thing. Strange. Will continue to monitor and post what I observe, as it's an interesting manifestation.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
So Tom, after you posted that bit about Manouri nesting, I tried to grab a picture of Benny actually balancing on the shell. It was pretty funny and I got a look that said "what?" When I caught him doing it. His butt was so far up in the air. It was rather funny.
Obviously I missed the shot, but found it very funny.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe he just doesn't like your style of decorating:p :D. Sounds like he is having a good time, whatever the reason:)
Would love to have seen the last pic you tried catching. Sounds quite funny.

I can add, I don't see my leopard do this, he is outside in a winter shed. However, most mornings when I go out to feed, etc, I will find not only does he poop in his water dish every day, but sometimes it will be almost empty. He gets into the dish every day too poop, so I know he is not dehydrated. What he is doing, to make most of the water disappear on these occasions is anyone's guess. I also will find his dish in many different places. In his hide, in is water dish, at the opposite end of his enclosure. Not sure what he is doing with that either, but I think he is splashing around in the water and playing frisbee with his dish. Which by the way is a frisbee:D