plants in the enclosure

dariceboij

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando,FL
I recently purchased seeds that I want to grow for food when i get my tortoise. I have also seen members mention putting planters right into the substrate (coco coir) and they will grow just fine. My question is what pots should i use material and size also if i should use soil or just put substrate into the pot.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
First off, what kind of tortoise? Four instance Russians tend to be very hard on the plants and so I would recommend putting the plants in pots for them. Other tortoises may not be as hard on the plants. I just use regular plastic pots for my plants. Some people plant seeds in little trays and then when they're grown up pretty large they put the tray in the enclosure and let the tortoise eat it down. Then they replace it with a fresh tray and let the old one grow again. They keep rotating them.

dariceboij

Orlando,FL
I am considering a Russian tortoise actually so pots it is then. I'll have my enclosure ready before I have my tortoise so I guess it will be an indoor greenhouse for a bit.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea of having a couple of kitty litter pans. Using potting soil, plant both pans. When they're ready to 'eat,' set one pan inside the habitat with a ramp up into it, or sink it down into the substrate. Then when that's decimated, replace it with the other one, giving the first one a rest to use later.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
What kind of plants did you choose? I have a Russian and I was thinking of adding some indoor potted plants to his inside enclosure (so he can browse while his mommy is at work). I have no idea where to start on which plants to choose -- there are so many!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
In my Russians indoor enclosure the plants are not for eating there just for looking at and walking under :) I have Pothos, dracaena spider plants, and Jade.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Cool! I am using The Tortoise Table. They are from the UK so many of the plants' common names are different, but they do provide the Latin (taxonomic) names which is extremely helpful! Plus their small "staff" is very nice and eager to hear from tortie keepers. There are lots of great wildflowers listed there that I'll be picking from in my outdoor tortoise garden this year. :)