Planting in egg shells.

Mommabear

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura Co. CA
I am looking for something to use for very small planters. I currently use the coco coir and would like something I can submerge in a couple places to grow some grazing grasses for the winter. Other plants are too high.

At Easter time in school I remember we used to grow grass (as hair) filling a chicken egg with soil.

I have seen a couple threads but they are more about egg shells as calcium. The boiling part first is understood.The half shells would be under the coco. I just want to make sure if one was dug up it wouldn't be harmful.

Will the shell digest or cause a problem? They sell tiny 2 inch craft Terra cotta pots at the craft store, just trying to recycle things here. I also have the tiny peat cups, add soil and seeds, drop in the ground. Thoughts?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I really like that idea.
I know many tropical tortoises and turtles enjoy a little eggshell every now and then, and so far the times I've dished out empty shells to my turtles, there has been no problems.
What type of torty is it?
Eventually, I would think he eggshell would just break up and decompose on it's own, if roots were growing and pushing at it.

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
A baby Desert Tort about 3-4 months. Yes, eggshells can be used as seed starters and put directly in the ground. I have used them a couple of times.

Last weekends weigh in was 51 grams. Happy and growing so far.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's neat. I didn't realize you were a Jacquie (is that how you spell it?). I used natural dyes on the eggs, because they were placed into torotise enclosures. Like onion skins and cabbage I believe for those two.

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
Yes, it's Jacquie. Pleasure to meet you Jacqui (the tablet wants to auto correct your spelling :p)

So happy these will work. Great minds (or names) think alike.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Would be easier if you had goose eggs or especially emu ones.

I grew up with being Jackie (unless I was in trouble). Then about jr high I decided I wanted something different and saw on TV (Price is Right) somebody spelled Jacque. So I changed mine to i and have been that way ever since. ;), then I become Jacqueline) Nice to meet you Jacquie! :)