Plant identification in tortoise supply's seed mix

Timmythetort8

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
This plant has been most of the yield I get from my garden where I planted tortoise supply's testudo seed mix. What is it and is it ok to feed everyday as since it is most of my garden I feed it to my Russian tortoise basically every day? Also, is it ok to feed him clover every day to him?

Attachments

• PXL_20240403_235627948.jpg
    PXL_20240403_235627948.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This plant has been most of the yield I get from my garden where I planted tortoise supply's testudo seed mix. What is it and is it ok to feed everyday as since it is most of my garden I feed it to my Russian tortoise basically every day? Also, is it ok to feed him clover every day to him?
I think those are radish leaves. The Testudo mix keeps producing new stuff as time goes by. The radishes jump up first, but other stuff will show up in the next few days and weeks.

I wouldn't feed any one thing every day. Grow and use a variety of items, and add in some pelleted food, like original Mazuri from time to time.

Clover is high in protein. I wouldn't feed it every day either. If it is in an outdoor pen and you can't keep him from munching on it daily, just be sure the tortoise is very well hydrated with soaks, humidity, and water sprayed on the food.

Timmythetort8

Nevada
Yeah it's been growing for about a month and it's mostly still the raddish and clover. I feed him spring mix along with it with cucumbers and bell peppers every week or every other week with Grassland zoomed food like 2-3 times a week. I soak him once a week for around 20 min and I make sure his food is wet daily with misting often. I will try to feed the clover every other day or something like that.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's important to spread the seeds very thinly; otherwise the fast growing seeds choke out everything else. You have to "save" some space for the slower plants.

Nothing wrong with what you're getting out of the mix currently; this is more a tip for the next time you plant. It's common for folks to put too many seeds down in the beginning so you aren't alone!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
It's important to spread the seeds very thinly; otherwise the fast growing seeds choke out everything else. You have to "save" some space for the slower plants.

Nothing wrong with what you're getting out of the mix currently; this is more a tip for the next time you plant. It's common for folks to put too many seeds down in the beginning so you aren't alone!
GREAT tips as I am planting these seeds in about a week, gotta wait for the snow to go. I'm in CA too. Make sure to spread them out is what I will focus on.

Timmythetort8

Nevada

Ok thank you I will make sure to that next time.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
GREAT tips as I am planting these seeds in about a week, gotta wait for the snow to go. I'm in CA too. Make sure to spread them out is what I will focus on.
Thin and I mean THIN. No touching! And when things start to grow in you will likely need to "thin" the initial growth so that the seedlings you leave in have a chance. Every sprout needs space to put down roots and the root space can be much larger than the leaves you see.

That bag of seed should theoretically last you forever, there are so many. Compare it to a single pack of seeds from a nursery and consider that single pack is generally intended to produce a lot of growth.