Pine-coning

algoroth1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
It's been a while since we visited this subject. A couple of years ago I would have bet that Ponce (m.e.e.) would have serious problems in the future because his front leg scales were becoming severely "pine-coned". He's been living outdoors full-time for about three years now and those front scales have completely normalized.
Vic Morgan theorized back in 2014 that pine-coning happens only in captivity because our torts don't forage for food and they just get fat, with the extra fat building up between scales and forcing them outwards. I'm now convinced that Vic is right.
In our case, since Ponce moved outside to a fairly decent sized area (50 ft. X 30 ft) he is very active and walks the perimeter many times each day even though food is plentiful. His diet has not changed much, although the quantities have increased as he's grown. The scales now look like they would in the wild.
Anyone else had this experience?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like Vic's reasoning.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Interesting, although one of my four has slight pineconing, and they are all equally active and very heavy.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
MichaelaW where are you located? Are your torts outdoors full-time? How many and how old? I'm interested in finding patterns.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I recently moved from Illinois to deep south Texas two months ago. Now they are outside full time. In Illinois they were raised indoors for the most part. I have a 2.5 year old, 1.5 year old, and two yearlings.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Nice. Hope all goes well in Texas. Torts should love it if you've got shade and humidity! Let us know if the one with some pine coning changes with the new environment. Good luck.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
I recently moved from Illinois to deep south Texas two months ago. Now they are outside full time. In Illinois they were raised indoors for the most part. I have a 2.5 year old, 1.5 year old, and two yearlings.

I am just now getting into BMTs and also live in Texas (albeit the Houston area). After researching their preferences on temperature and humidity BMTs seemed to be a near-perfect fit for the Gulf Coast area, but I was wondering what your experience has been with keeping them in this region thus far?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Posted where?

From the first post in this thread:

"Vic Morgan theorized back in 2014 that pine-coning happens only in captivity because our torts don't forage for food and they just get fat, with the extra fat building up between scales and forcing them outwards. I'm now convinced that Vic is right.
In our case, since Ponce moved outside to a fairly decent sized area (50 ft. X 30 ft) he is very active and walks the perimeter many times each day even though food is plentiful. His diet has not changed much, although the quantities have increased as he's grown. The scales now look like they would in the wild."

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
From the first post in this thread:

"Vic Morgan theorized back in 2014 that pine-coning happens only in captivity because our torts don't forage for food and they just get fat, with the extra fat building up between scales and forcing them outwards. I'm now convinced that Vic is right.
In our case, since Ponce moved outside to a fairly decent sized area (50 ft. X 30 ft) he is very active and walks the perimeter many times each day even though food is plentiful. His diet has not changed much, although the quantities have increased as he's grown. The scales now look like they would in the wild."
Thank you.

I'm wondering where the "look like in the wild" is referenced from?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe Vic has seen some of the 'wild' ones???

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Here is a quote from Vic from another thread on calcium absorption: "...I believe the "pine coning" is from over feeding, that's all. It is the stretching of the hide. In Nature or if you watch them browsing in a well planted captive enclosure you will notice it is very labor intensive compared to eating a big plate of food..."

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I am just now getting into BMTs and also live in Texas (albeit the Houston area). After researching their preferences on temperature and humidity BMTs seemed to be a near-perfect fit for the Gulf Coast area, but I was wondering what your experience has been with keeping them in this region thus far?
This is a wonderful environment for them. They are exploding with new smooth growth. I need to take measurements and new photos at some point.