picture what kind

Splash

FB_IMG_1412447346083.jpg Okay long story short these are rescues
Little background.... when i got them They had no heat or uvb other then being let out side during the day. Their shells are soft ish but I'm working with my exotics vet on that part.

They are much more active now and I don't plan to hibernate then due to their condition.
question is is hibernation okay to skip

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Okay long story short these are rescues
Little background.... when i got them They had no heat or uvb other then being let out side during the day. Their shells are soft ish but I'm working with my exotics vet on that part.

They are much more active now and I don't plan to hibernate then due to their condition.
question is is hibernation okay to skip

I would absolutely NOT brumate them...their little eyes tell alot....I would be sure to keep them soaked, keep offering uva/uvb with a good artificial source (and each and every time the sun is out and it is not "cold" where you are I would get them out in the natural sun)...and you said you are working with a vet...what is it that the vet is saying to do? If you don't mind sharing that :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Splash, and welcome to the Forum!

Are you in SoCal or in Arizona? If so, then get these babies out into real sunshine every chance you can. Real sunshine works much better than the artificial UVB from a light, and the calcium won't work without UVB.

It is quite ok to not allow them to hibernate. We recommend keeping new-to-you tortoises awake the first winter you have them.