Pics of my tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Az
Thought I'd share some pictures of my tortoise enclosure. It's 30" x 30" and 18" high. Has about 4-5 inches of 50/50 coconut husk/garden soil mix for substrate. A hide cave which is currently blocked by the sideways pot (I'll open it up when he gets a little bigger, I feel the hide is too open and big for him now). I've got some nice, thick fescue grass growing. Keeping humidity in the 50-60 range with spikes into the 80's% after a watering/misting. The temperatures tend to fluctuate throughout the day reaching the hottest temps at around 4 or 5 pm (90-94 at basking site). In the mornings it's a little cooler like 86/87 basking, and mid to high 70's on the cool end.

Picture071.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture044B.jpg

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
That looks awesome for exploring. Did you grow that grass from seeds? If so where did you get the seeds.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
Thanks for the comments!

ewam said:
That looks awesome for exploring. Did you grow that grass from seeds? If so where did you get the seeds.

Yup, grew it from seeds. I just got a small bag of seeds from a plant nursery down the street from my house.

M

Maggie Cummings

Did you keep the tort off the grass until it grew? (the grass not the tort:))

I just wanted to say one thing tho...UVB rays cannot go thru screens so I am not sure if your tort is getting any UVB rays thru your screen...just sayin

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
I actually kept the tort in a different enclosure until the grass had fully grown in. And yes, I am fully aware that the UV wavelength cannot penetrate fine screen. That's why I completely removed the screen in that section :). I started to cut it out, then realized there was an elastic band that allows you to simply pull the screen right off. The light sits on the edges of the cage and is completely unobstructed.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is a fantastic enclosure. At first I thought it was glass, but now I see it's screen. I love it.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
Thank you! I'm planning on building a little box to put it in soon. That way he can't see out, and I can hopefully stop having to pick up dirt off my desk and floor haha. Every time he walks around the edge of the cage soil just spills through the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.