Petsmart Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Just came back from petsmart when I went there I went to look at their tortoises of course and I saw this little guy (there was another one soaking in the bowl of water).
1119101933.jpg

He stood out to me because of his scutes that are to me abnormally close together
1119101923a.jpg

You see the two on the top? Is that the start of MBD? All they had were fruity pebbles and some crickets to eat. I actually saw him trying to eat the reptibark and the wallpaper of the enclosure poor guy must be starving :(
Bye the way those are cellphone pics best i can do :p So what are your thoughts? They said he was captive born IDK.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
That sure does look a little odd Marty. For some reason I'm thinking injury as opposed to MBD, but it really would take a better pic for me to make a better guess.

As to captive bred, doubtful, but who knows, down where you live in florida maybe. Alot of successful tortoise breeders based there, so economically it might make sense. In most parts of the country wild-caught are still cheaper.

Sure are spending alot of time talkin' redfoots, Marty.
Thinking about enlarging your tortoise family? :)

Stev0623

5 Year Member
oh my gosh, that makes me so angry!

How much were they Marty? How big were they? makes me want to drive to ORL and buy them.

One day I was talking to Terry(RF NERD) and he told me how RFs are cheap in the south because they're easy to breed here. I wouldn't doubt the CB part, but it does look pretty big for petsmart.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Yeah, those scutes are too close.

For some reason I believed that the scutes can do that when they grow really quickly, too quickly in fact. I'm also pretty sure that a fast growth spurt in a dry environment can cause them to grow off center. I'm not sure about why, but maybe they grow quickly one side of the scute, but get "bound" while growing on the other.

Stay focused on Chevy, for now... ;) RFs are great torts though...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
who knows actual fruity pebbles maybe more nutritious than those multi colored pellets.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The scutes leaning together like that can definitely be the start of MBD. The really sad thing is it is actually extremely difficult to do that to a Redfoot, and takes extra effort at neglecting them to bring that about. Because Redfoots naturally eat some meat, if they are getting worms and protein and a calcium supplement, that should never happen even IF there is NO UV light offered.

I have a bigger girl with the same problem. She was one of the trio that I adopted that were found abandoned in a basement. Sad, really sad.

KristinasPictures319.jpg

KristinasPictures273.jpg

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Stev0623 said:
oh my gosh, that makes me so angry!

How much were they Marty? How big were they? makes me want to drive to ORL and buy them.

One day I was talking to Terry(RF NERD) and he told me how RFs are cheap in the south because they're easy to breed here. I wouldn't doubt the CB part, but it does look pretty big for petsmart.

They were 70$ dollars with a pet perks card and they were about 6inches long cute as heck that one though I would of loved to get him

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I bought my last redfoot from petsmart back in september.I felt sorry for him, he was as light as a feather and dry as a bone.He was eating the little colored pebbles(well atleast thats what was in his bowl).Anyways I bought him on sept.22nd and his weight was 241 grams and by oct 30 th he was up to 314 grams.His diet is fresh dark greens,some fruit and I supplement with mazuri.He eats like a pig and we named him nubbs(after his pyramiding)lol...Oh well, we love him just the way he is.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
My Petsmart had one that had to be about 8'' and ofcourse he was in a 10 gal tank. His shell looked pretty smooth. They did not have a dish for him to soak in so Im calling the number they gave me to call to tell them. He is also $69. I wish I had the money to get him. :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My local PetSmart has a cute as the dickens 8" female as smooth as anything. I wondered if it could be WC or farmed in South America.

The current cares were not what I would call A+, but those in my local shop were not that terrible for short-term housing.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh man, if there was a smooth 8" female RF near me for $70 I'd be all over that. All I see around here are unhealthy 5" guys. Plus all the petstores around here charge $200...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It's simply two deformed scutes - Nothing less, nothing more.......It more than likely hatched that way - I'd venture to say at least 30% of the farmed Colombian Redfoots hatch with scute deformities, and they are more pre-disposed to pyramiding as they grow, versus a Surinam/Guyana Redfoot.....

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Madkins007 said:
My local PetSmart has a cute as the dickens 8" female as smooth as anything. I wondered if it could be WC or farmed in South America.

The current cares were not what I would call A+, but those in my local shop were not that terrible for short-term housing.

I thought the same thing about the little one I saw in the Pet store near me. She is a real beauty...lots of yellow on her. Not too bad for short-term housing......well it's two years now that she's sitting there. They finally put a fake plant in there for her to sit under. She is in a 20 gal. with a Russian. They want $199. for her. If I had the room and the money....but I don't.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
terryo said:
Madkins007 said:

I thought the same thing about the little one I saw in the Pet store near me. She is a real beauty...lots of yellow on her. Not too bad for short-term housing......well it's two years now that she's sitting there. They finally put a fake plant in there for her to sit under. She is in a 20 gal. with a Russian. They want $199. for her. If I had the room and the money....but I don't.
you would think after 2 years they would lower the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.