Pet Stores and their Regulations! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperrier100

5 Year Member
When I first started looking into getting a Tortoise, I took a trip over to Petco where my sister worked. I'd been a member of this forum for a little bit by then, and immediately knew that the tortoises were not being "well cared for." There were three tortoises in one enclosure no larger than 1 ft by 2 ft. The tortoises (Russians) were not active at all, and when their food was put out they didn't seem to have an appetite. My sister said that the store wouldn't supply the reptiles with "better stuff" unless they sold more, and that how they were being upkept was within regulations... This made me sad. I found this type of treatment at several Petco's. Petsmart wasn't much better either, with two torts (Greeks) in a 1 by 1 rank! The torts couldn't turn around and were getting stuck, but they were active (makes me want to go kidnap all those sad torts) :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Send an email giving details to [email protected] I have sent an email to them about conditions on another members request of what they had seen. They seem really concerned and wanted to check into it. Unfortunalety, the other member never would answer my post or pm's to give me further info to forward on to Petco. I think most of the bad care is not Petco Corp., as much as I think it is each individual store. Although the Petco by me does not have the best size enclosure, they actually seem to take very good care of them.. The size of enclosure isn't as important as their other care. The size restraints are because their stores just don't have the room to house each one properly and they are hoping to be able to sell them quickly.

panky

5 Year Member
mperrier100 said:
When I first started looking into getting a Tortoise, I took a trip over to Petco where my sister worked. I'd been a member of this forum for a little bit by then, and immediately knew that the tortoises were not being "well cared for." There were three tortoises in one enclosure no larger than 1 ft by 2 ft. The tortoises (Russians) were not active at all, and when their food was put out they didn't seem to have an appetite. My sister said that the store wouldn't supply the reptiles with "better stuff" unless they sold more, and that how they were being upkept was within regulations... This made me sad. I found this type of treatment at several Petco's. Petsmart wasn't much better either, with two torts (Greeks) in a 1 by 1 rank! The torts couldn't turn around and were getting stuck, but they were active (makes me want to go kidnap all those sad torts) :(
i experienced same thing here in india...went to buy torts (stars) in local pet shop...guy there askd me which torts m intrested in? i said stars n he askd me to follow him...ofcourse they were not out there for display..as these are banned in india...he went in another room n he took out one box less than 1 x 1 feet in size:( in that box there were 8 lil baby stars with corriander leaves...box was close n had lil holes in it...poor babies. they were not even able to move n eat...
i felt bad...n even more bad to realise that customers like me are encouraging these silly pet store guys to encourage other local guys to catch star torts in wild...anyways i dunno to feel bad for this or be happy as i brought them home n m taking good care of them.:rolleyes:

panky.

mperrier100

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Send an email giving details to [email protected] I have sent an email to them about conditions on another members request of what they had seen. They seem really concerned and wanted to check into it. Unfortunalety, the other member never would answer my post or pm's to give me further info to forward on to Petco. I think most of the bad care is not Petco Corp., as much as I think it is each individual store. Although the Petco by me does not have the best size enclosure, they actually seem to take very good care of them.. The size of enclosure isn't as important as their other care. The size restraints are because their stores just don't have the room to house each one properly and they are hoping to be able to sell them quickly.

I'm sure I'll be taking some sort of action along those lines, as my sister is an animal lover and likes working in the animal retail feild. I hope one day people can be better educated on torts and reptiles in general. I don't know how many people I know think that Tort's can swim.... :tort: I guess I'm going to be teaching people a few things!

Status
Not open for further replies.