Pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Is it just me, or does it annoy everyone else when people refer to tortoises as TURTLES? Everyone I know always calls them turtles. You don't get donkeys and horses, or rats and mice confused, so why the ignorance?

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
Everyone that sees my tortoise refers it to a turtle here you don't see tortoises walking on people's front lawns everyday they just dont know they have never seen one in person befor

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Man how many threads do we have on this topic? I used to, but I have stopped being irritated by it. In all fairness I often refer to my rusians as russin turtles.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
I don't know how many threads, I just joined a week ago and have never had anyone to vent to. Sorry to annoy you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not annoyed it was a rhetorical question, if I was annoyed I would have listed as a pet peeve duplicate threads. For future reference we have a search function.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
When taking Lana for her evening walk, I have had people ask if thats a snapping turtle. First time I explained second time I said yes, yes it is. LOL. But it does not bother me I just get a kick out of people. Here's your sign.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Sulcataman said:
Is it just me, or does it annoy everyone else when people refer to tortoises as TURTLES? Everyone I know always calls them turtles. You don't get donkeys and horses, or rats and mice confused, so why the ignorance?

Sadly, I think I can top the silliness of referring to tortoises as turtles. A family member once suggested that while tortoises are reptiles, turtles are amphibians. Seriously.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
It kind of does. Not when it's little kids or anything, but when it's my mother or someone I've talked to about it being a TORTOISE and they still say, "aw it's a cute little turtle" or "why doesn't he swim more if he's a turtle?"

Yes, does get annoying.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Sulcataman said:

That's probably because tortoises are TURTLES. 'Turtle' is a perfectly acceptable term when referring to chelonians. I wouldn't use the terms interchangeably (Russian turtle), but I do use 'turtle' when speaking about them generically, or without knowing the exact species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This thread has been done before. It bugs me too. However, I now call them turtles, because 99% of the people that ask me about them, or that i have to ask them, don't have a clue what I am talking about if I say tortoise. So I caved, I say turtles, I get their attention into the right area of animal, and then I say, he is really a tortoise, land turtle. Because if I don't say it that way, and just say tortoise, they don't still don't get it. Yes it bugs me, but I couldn't take it no more and I had to cave, sorry:(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
This thread has been done before. It bugs me too. However, I now call them turtles, because 99% of the people that ask me about them, or that i have to ask them, don't have a clue what I am talking about if I say tortoise. So I caved, I say turtles, I get their attention into the right area of animal, and then I say, he is really a tortoise, land turtle. Because if I don't say it that way, and just say tortoise, they don't still don't get it. Yes it bugs me, but I couldn't take it no more and I had to cave, sorry:(

Don't cave! Stand up for your TORTOISE! :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I call my group tortles.. Lol. I don't know why, it's just more fun to say, " honey, come look at the tortles..)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
wellington said:

Don't cave! Stand up for your TORTOISE! :D

I try, but the look on their face when I say Tortoise. Well let's just say, I have a potty mouth, remember I live in Chicago, it's required in order to live here:D and the thing I want to say to them would not be nice. I try real hard to be nice to people, I would really like to kill the majority of them, so I really try hard to be nice. So, I just have to cave. Now if they are animal people, well then I don't have to cave. They, animal people, the superior human, gets it:D LOL

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I used to get annoyed but I dont really care anymore. It really depends on the scenario I'm in if I want to correct them or not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Laurie said:
I call my group tortles.. Lol. I don't know why, it's just more fun to say, " honey, come look at the tortles..)

I either say Tatum or my tort. That is only to the family and friends who know what I am talking about.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Yes, it is annoying to me.. Esp, when a major film company like Warner Bros can't get it right. Cecil is a Tortoise not a turtle. I still kindly educate people, explaining the differences (if they want to know). I don't want to be the responsible party for confusing someone that they are indeed the same thing when they are not. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.